Thread: Need help with top shelf on this bookcase

Need help with top shelf on this bookcase

I'm designing a small book stand similar in construction to this one - https://www.stickley.com/furniture/e...s-low-etagere/ Mine will be taller, with 4 shelves holding heavy books. I'd love to hear some insights from someone who's seen or built a stand like this.

The only thing I'm a little perplexed about is how the top shelf is affixed. I'm assuming it's structural, the only thing keeping the stile / rail assemblies from splaying out at the top when the thing is under load with books leaning against the sides. I'll be gluing up some 3/4" x 12" deep panels for the shelves instead of using plywood, so wood movement is of course a consideration... I've looked at dozens of plans for bookcases, but nothing that quite solves this problem.

A sliding dovetail (not glued, or glued only at one end or the middle) into the top rails would be bulletproof, but you'd have to think through assembly order to make sure it could be built. The legs would have to be attached afterwards, obviously.

With straight sides, though, there won't be a huge force trying to separate the sides. Most of the forces will be straight down. Racking is more concern, but the bottom rails will help with that. I'd probably just use tenons on the shelf into mortices in the legs.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    A sliding dovetail (not glued, or glued only at one end or the middle) into the top rails would be bulletproof, but you'd have to think through assembly order to make sure it could be built. The legs would have to be attached afterwards, obviously.
    Ah, I did not think of a sliding dovetail through the side rails. That's definitely something to consider. It would definitely need re-thinking my order of operations as I glue up assemblies, but that's a thought. Thanks for the idea!

With straight sides, though, there won't be a huge force trying to separate the sides. Most of the forces will be straight down. Racking is more concern, but the bottom rails will help with that. I'd probably just use tenons on the shelf into mortices in the legs.
    Would you leave half of the shelf's tenons floating to account for expansion?

I had considered going with a very un-Stickley approach and using hidden dowels at the shelf - leg intersections at the top. I don't have any experience in using dowel or biscuit construction for structural support for the likes of shelves. Would an approach like that give sufficient long-term support?