Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

13 Jan 2020

Greetings,
    The dining table project is now complete and it is installed and the customer is happy. Happy customer, happy Dennis.
    Spending time with my youngest son before he gets shipped out for his tour of duty. Now I gotta rest up after this dining table project before I start something else.

Dining Table - 43.5" wide x 144" long x 1.55" thick (white oak) - Weight of entire table, 416 pounds.
    alven_table.jpg

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Drug my old Hendey 14x54 lathe out of storage and got it all set up, cleaned, lubed and working correctly this morning. spent the afternoon learning how to use it. IMG_20200111_203000_747.jpg

IMG_20200112_182640_359.jpg

I began making the rear legs and back for the Stickley-ish armchair I'm building, getting as far as making the mortises for the stretchers.

Side Stretcher Mortises.jpg Rear Mortises.jpg

Practice makes perfect. Every time I practice, I realize how much more I can use.
    Chuck Taylor

Looks nice Chuck, is that cherry?

Regards, Rod.

Dennis, the table turned out wonderfully. Charles, chairs are something that scares me! LOL

I did get shop time this past week and weekend. One of my consistent clients needed more inlay pockets cut on charcuterie boards and I finally got moving on getting a pre-production product from a manufacturer assembled so I could provide commentary, etc. I'll be discussing that more here at SMC soon. I also cut a few novelty signs in HDU for some friend and will get to finishing them up over the coming week. Here's one of the boards with inlay pockets...it was a lot of computer work to put together what he wanted as I had to extensively modify something existing to fit the workpiece in the desired format and also insure that I could cut it. 90% of this required a tiny 1mm end mill. The client does resin inlays on this. For reference, the workpiece is about 9" wide (top to bottom in the photo) and that's olive wood.

IMG_6409.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I spent the weekend prepping and painting our living room ceiling. Today I have errands to run. Tomorrow I will begin painting the walls.

A note to those who paint, a neighbor and pro painter saw we had the large LR window covered with paper to maintain some privacy at night. Inquisitive, he came over saw what I was doing, offered and did the final skim coat on a large hole in the exterior wall I was repairing. Then he brought over 2 tools and told me to use them. The 3-M Hand Masker is a god send for masking! This room has wainscoating on 3 walls. The 3-M hand masker takes a roll of blue tape and marries it with a thin plastic cover as you use it. His had 12" paper on one tool and 48" thin plastic on the other. It made covering the wainscoating a few minutes job instead of hours.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Looks nice Chuck, is that cherry?
    Thanks! Yes, it's cherry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Charles, chairs are something that scares me! LOL
    Just like getting dressed...one leg at a time.

Well, two legs at a time, and with a handful of mortises each. Okay, it isn't so much like getting dressed.

That's a pretty inlay design.
    Chuck Taylor

Table looks great Dennis! Happy customer is always a good thing.

All I have to finish on my workbench drawer bank is to attach the drawer fronts and the drawer pulls. Everything is made and finished; just need to attach so will wrap that up in the morning. I'll post some pics once I install it on the bench, but need to do some rearranging and turn the bench around first, which will be easier without the added weight on the bench, although the bench is on machine casters.

Also took most of a day to repaint our master bath ceiling; it was looking a little dingy.

Next up is a new router table. I've settled on a modified version of Norm's updated NYW design, making it somewhat taller, wider, and deeper. I have an idea for incorporating side-of-the-top dust collection that I want to try. Rockler sells an add-on gadget with brushes that stick up above the table edge to divert sideways shooting dust into a dust hose (like when routing dadoes or grooves away from the fence). The brushes divert the dust but don't get in the way of the workpiece. Anyway, I think I can incorporate a similar feature into the table without using a separate hose.

I'm not teaching until fall this year due to some class rearranging so I'm looking forward to getting a lot of shop time in before the weather turns nice (although it was 70 degrees here on Saturday. In mid-January. In NE Ohio. Had to break out the shorts!
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I did the final rub out of a new QSWO bookcase and started building a shelf to hold recycle bins. Finally found a use for the pine shipping crates that some of my tools came in.

McFarlane Shelf-3.jpgMcFarlane Shelf-2.jpg
    Mark McFarlane