Thread: Vacuum Chucking pumps...

Vacuum Chucking pumps...

Hello All,

I've been trying to research vacuum pumps for setting up a vacuum chuck system on my lathe (Laguna Revo 18|36). I thought I'd find some information here, but I only found one post (from Nov 2011). That post suggested at least a 4 CFM pump, and someone else suggested an Oil-less pump, but no other specifics. It was suggested that used GAST pumps can be purchased on ebay fairly cheap, but it was also suggested that others have had success with the cheaper pumps (Harbor Freight was mentioned). I don't turn a lot of bowls, but wanted to turn more, and I've had instances with smaller projects where the vacuum system would have come in handy, so I thought I'd start looking into the parts to set up a system. So here are my questions:

1) INITIAL Pump cost.. Used Gast pumps are about $200 on ebay. So since I'm just starting out, it would seem prudent to spend $50 for a cheap pump, then upgrade later if I find I'm going to use the system more. Would this make sense? If I start out with a cheapie then, what should I look for in those?

2) About the (cheap) pumps... The ones I found are small portable units (with handles) targeted at refrigeration recharging. The CFM is 4 or higher, so are these OK (as long as they have 4 CFM or higher)?

3) About the GAST pumps... From what I've found the model 523 is the one to get. But I found different versions of the same model. The middle number is different (ex: 0523-xxx-G588DNX), but they all look the same. Even on the Gast website they all show the same pump and specs, but they have different rebuild kit numbers, so it tells me something is different.

4) Does the 110v pumps pull a lot of juice (amps)? Does the amps increase as the vacuum pressure increases? If so, then I guess the 220 (dual voltage) would be worth getting (I use 220 in the shop so 220 would not be an issue).

5) Is there anything else I have to consider in a pump? (I know there are several other parts I need for the full setup).

I looked at those venturi systems to use with a compressor, but after adding up the cost of the items, I thought the vacuum pump setup would be better way to go.

Thanks for the assistance!

Cordially...JEB

Not a lot of experience yet. I built my system 6 months ago. Unless you can vent the exhaust outside I would stay away from the cheap oil lubricated pumps. I used the Harbor Freight refrigeration vaccum pump and it tooquite a bit of fooling around and several filter mediums to keep the oil spray out of my shop. On the other hand if you just want to get some experience and accept the fact that you will soon wantto upgrade, it was a cheap way to getstarted.

I currently use a HoldFast Venturi Pump on my 1836 with no regrets. It pulls fine for what I need. With this setup you will need a large air compressor with a fairly large tank. If you don't already have an air compressor, then you are left with the options you mentioned.
    I do have a Robinair 15310 pump that I use on my vacuum chamber, but never used it on my lathe. The HoldFast works well on the chamber. but the continuous running of the big compressor is not only noisy, it can get quite expensive, not to mention the added wear and tear of your compressor.
    Here are a few links to my pumps;

https://chefwarekits.com/EZ-Vacuum-Generator-Venturi-Pump-with-Gauge-Made-in-the-USA-Creates-27-5-hg-p148007767

https://www.amazon.com/Robinair-15310-VacuMaster-Single-Vacuum/dp/B005CO9GX6/ref=sr_1_1?gclid=CjwKCAiApOvwBRBUEiwAcZGdGFi0n__GQ v6mzi0dJ11-1pgPv4ldSeDAdhtuf1AvvhmITAS-midToBoCFX4QAvD_BwE&hvadid=177614848312&hvdev=c&hv locphy=9014146&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=6 693180025538364817&hvtargid=kwd-42007119664&hydadcr=7482_9586280&keywords=robinair +15310&qid=1578879576&sr=8-1
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I've been using a cheap Arksen pump ($49) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BXMRP4I/ref=dp_cerb_1 from Amazon on my Oneway 1224.

I bought the Oneway vacuum adaptor and a HoldFast 3 1/2" vacuum chuck.

On the pump I installed a brass 4 port 1/4" NPT fitting. One input goes to the pump, the second is for a pressure relief ball valve, the third is for a vacuum gauge and the fourth port goes to the lathe.

It runs constantly, when on, and pulls plenty of vacuum to hold the work piece, I open the relief valve a bit to allow me to center the piece and then close the valve to get full vacuum, usually around 27 inHg on the gauge.

It does spit a bit of oil mist out of the pumps exhaust port, but I just place a loose sheet of kitchen towel over the port and this absorbs and condenses the oil mist.

It's very quiet in operation. I connect it to the lathe with a quick disconnect, similar to what I use for my normal air compressor tools.

I just ordered a Laguna 24-36 and hope to get it in the next two or three days. I ordered the Laguna Vacuum Rotary vacuum adaptor, directly from Laguna ($89). This is the same part for the 18-36.https://lagunatools.com/accessories/...vacuum-chucks/

Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 01-12-2020 at 9:15 PM.

Hi guys, Thanks for your suggestions!

Paul, I did want to get an OIL-LESS pump. I noticed some of the cheap pumps didn't state what type they were.

Chris, Thanks for the photo's (especially the Laguna adapter)! I think you will LOVE your REVO!! I've had my 1836 almost two years now, and haven't been disappointed yet (I've actually been contemplating buying the small one to replace my table top lathe too!). The only thing one it that bugs me is the little ON/OFF switch. It doesn't have a cover, and I've had small pieces of acrylic get caught, so I always have to make sure my fingers are clean. BUT-- I turn a lot of acrylic (I make custom fountain pens), so if you only turn wood, you may not have the same problem. When it first happened, I thought the switch was bad, so they sent a new one (great service by the way). But after removing it, I found little pieces of acrylic caught around the edges between the buttons and the casing. I thought about trying to mold a piece of heavy pliable plastic sheeting to place over it. But since I realized what was causing the problem, I just vacuum it out every now and then (I shut it off with the emergency shut-off button, then press in the buttons---one, then the other---while holding the vac nozzle over it). It seems to do the job. Haven't had any more problems.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions...JEB

The pump I have is a Thomas 2660. The Gast equivalent would be 82R. Both of these are oil less pumps. I have 3 Thomas 2660s. One is used for lake aeration that runs 24/7 for two years. When I pull that one out, I install the second one that was rebuilt by myself and rebuild the one pulled from the lake for the next cycle. The 3rd one is used on my lathe. You can buy both of these pumps used and rebuilt, but would suggest you get a rebuilt one. The Gast are harder to find and generally are higher priced. You can find the Thomas from multiple sources on the internet rebuilt. Rebuild kits are about $35 for the Thomas pumps. Both of these pumps are 110v and around 1/3 hp, so not a big current draw
    Last edited by William C Rogers; 01-16-2020 at 11:15 AM.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I have a Gast DAA-V716 2 stage diaphragm pump rated at 3.9 cfm. Will this work on a vacuum chuck?

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    I have a Gast DAA-V716 2 stage diaphragm pump rated at 3.9 cfm. Will this work on a vacuum chuck?
    That should work just fine.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Frugal Vacuum

Quote Originally Posted by john brady View Post
    Hello All,

I've been trying to research vacuum pumps for setting up a vacuum chuck system on my lathe (Laguna Revo 18|36). I thought I'd find some information here, but I only found one post (from Nov 2011). That post suggested at least a 4 CFM pump, and someone else suggested an Oil-less pump, but no other specifics. It was suggested that used GAST pumps can be purchased on ebay fairly cheap, but it was also suggested that others have had success with the cheaper pumps (Harbor Freight was mentioned). I don't turn a lot of bowls, but wanted to turn more, and I've had instances with smaller projects where the vacuum system would have come in handy, so I thought I'd start looking into the parts to set up a system. So here are my questions:

1) INITIAL Pump cost.. Used Gast pumps are about $200 on ebay. So since I'm just starting out, it would seem prudent to spend $50 for a cheap pump, then upgrade later if I find I'm going to use the system more. Would this make sense? If I start out with a cheapie then, what should I look for in those?

2) About the (cheap) pumps... The ones I found are small portable units (with handles) targeted at refrigeration recharging. The CFM is 4 or higher, so are these OK (as long as they have 4 CFM or higher)?

3) About the GAST pumps... From what I've found the model 523 is the one to get. But I found different versions of the same model. The middle number is different (ex: 0523-xxx-G588DNX), but they all look the same. Even on the Gast website they all show the same pump and specs, but they have different rebuild kit numbers, so it tells me something is different.

4) Does the 110v pumps pull a lot of juice (amps)? Does the amps increase as the vacuum pressure increases? If so, then I guess the 220 (dual voltage) would be worth getting (I use 220 in the shop so 220 would not be an issue).

5) Is there anything else I have to consider in a pump? (I know there are several other parts I need for the full setup).

I looked at those venturi systems to use with a compressor, but after adding up the cost of the items, I thought the vacuum pump setup would be better way to go.

Thanks for the assistance!

Cordially...JEB
    The Frugal Vacuum will take away all your guess work and works exceptionally well.
    Steve

I’ve got both a rotary vane gast 523x and a thomas/reichle rocking piston aeration pump. The gast was bought as new/surplus on ebay for $89 and was, indeed brand new, unused. The Thomas was my first pump - bought on ebay as a rebuilt pump for $39 - used on a jet 1642 for several years. Now its used on a carving stand. Both are very good pumps and easily rebuilt if they ever need it. The gast generates more vacuum, the Thomas only slightly less. Either work very well on the lathe, but the gast is dedicated to that duty. They’re both very quiet when running, the Thomas generates slightly less noise.

If I were doing it again, as a first pump, the rocking pistonThomas would get my nod - they’re pretty cheap, easily rebuilt and are made for continuous duty and easy to find. I believe thats what Frugal used for the most part. I’d also keep my eyes open for a gast. They’re used in hospitals and dentists offices where they’re serviced regularly and changed out often. The one I got was considered surplus inventory and sold off as part of a regular program to rotate older stock in the maintenance dept of a large hospital.

Both of these are oilless pumps. The cheap oiled pumps can be fitted with exhaust filters kluged together from common parts - there’s info out there on making them.

Steve Schwartz is spot on, Frugalvaccuumchuck . com

Quote Originally Posted by Chance Raser View Post
    Steve Schwartz is spot on, Frugalvaccuumchuck . com
    He is out of pumps and it is unclear when/if he'll be able to get more.

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    He is out of pumps and it is unclear when/if he'll be able to get more.
    So I just bought a 2660 on EBay for $90, and the rest of the kit from Frugal Vacuum for $84.