Thread: Suggestions for pine?

Suggestions for pine?

Finishing up a weekend project for the kitchen. We needed a decent size trivet to hold Dutch ovens and such. I had a bag of wine corks we’ve been collecting for some sort of project. I glued them to a plywood backer and whipped up a frame from some clear pine I had. The backer sits on a rabbet.

Now the conundrum....

What finish for the pine frame to add some interest to an otherwise bland wood? I’ve thought about ebonizing, about charring Shou sugi ban style, or perhaps some other dark stain. If I could maintain the fresh natural color that would be fine, I just don’t want it to turn into yellow/orange “pumpkin pine” as finished pine often does. I don’t work with pine much and could use some suggestions. What say you?

55A581B6-3E4C-453A-BCDC-1695284F1C9B.jpg
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Honestly, I'd leave it bare given its purpose. But if you want it to not turn color "as noticeably" as you mention, you'd have to dye it darker and then put a coat or two of something clear to seal in the dye.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Agree with Jim. You could put something on the wood frame to elevate pots above the cork . Easiest thing I can think of
    is brass domed upholstery tacks

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Honestly, I'd leave it bare given its purpose. But if you want it to not turn color "as noticeably" as you mention, you'd have to dye it darker and then put a coat or two of something clear to seal in the dye.
    Actually that’s not a bad idea. as it develops a patina I could keep it fresh with a light sanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Agree with Jim. You could put something on the wood frame to elevate pots above the cork . Easiest thing I can think of
    is brass domed upholstery tacks
    The cork stands proud of the wood on purpose. It’s a great insulator.

Well....the gold tacks would make it even more proud . And higher.

Wound up going with a satin finish clear polyurethane. It didn’t yellow much and it looks pretty good.