Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendations on Medium Dedicated Plunge Router

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    My power tool store guy (yes I still shop at a brick and mortar store) recommends the Porter Cable 890 over any 1/2” router today. Second would be the Bosch 1617, and third the DeWalt 621. His reasons are:
    ...There is no DeWalt corresponding router.
    DW 618 is the corresponding router for power and base selection. I'm not familiar enough with the PC 890 to know any specific differences in features, however. I've been very pleased with the DW 618 thee-base kit, although I mostly use that router with the fixed base for lower-center-of-gravity when that's preferable. I have OF1400 and OF1010 routers for plunge use.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tom,

I had a Porter Cable originally purchased in the '70's that died. I took it to my local electric motor repair shop. They said the older ones are worth rewinding/repair. So, I oped for that and glad I did. I'm not saying it's cheaper, but just another option (that worked for me).

I can comment on the Bosch 1617. It's a good router, very smooth, plenty of power. The "quick change" template adapter system is extremely goofy IMO, I just removed the factory baseplate from the plunge base and replaced it with a generic acrylic base plate that accepts PC bushings directly.

The other thing is that the plunge base only rides on one rod. There are two rods, but only the side with the depth stop has an actual bushing for the rod, the other side just has an O-ring and the rod on that side is really just there to align the plunge spring. So there is a bit of play when the plunge lever is depressed, maybe 1/16" at the tip of the router bit. The play is taken out when you release the plunge lever.

Because the play is taken out when the lever is let go, for most tasks you can still do accurate work with it. But if you are routing a recess, the slop during the plunge stroke tends to cause the bit to go a hair deeper than the depth setting, making an indention where you plunge. If the bottom of the recess is a show surface then you have a lot of awkward sanding to do. That's not a common situation but it did happen to me.

The Bosch is not alone in this, my DW611 is similar. I think most of the modular motor and separate base style routers have the single bushing setup and so I'd be surprised if they didn't have similar looseness with the plunge lever depressed. Dedicated plunge routers seem to have more robust plunge rod setups, for example the DW625 definitely has two guide rods with bushings on both. The DW621 only has one bushing, but its on an extra large diameter rod (it's also a dust extraction tube) so would promise better rigidity. The Makita RP 2301 has two rods with a linear bearing on each (vs bronze bushings in the others). Except for the DW621 these are all large routers.

I had originally figured that the modular routers made dedicated plungers obsolete, but for certain tasks I think a dedicated plunger should be a little more accurate.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Thomas , have you considered looking for another PC 7529 or 8529 on eBay or Craigslist ? I see them from time to time , often less than $100.

Bosch made a similar router labeled B1450 and 1613. They have the same depth adjustment knob as the subject router. I'm not positive but the 1613 may have been discontinued too. All take the PC bushings with the adapter ring. I have both routers with both guide bush setups and the PC is just a much smoother and refined tool. However , the Bosch is much tougher and the bayonet bushing system is easier, faster and better for changing them out.
    I have the 1450,1614 and 1613 and I think they have all been discontinued. ....
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have the PC890 with both the fixed and plunge base. The dust collection is very good with the plunge base.

I have the PC-890 and the Bosch 1617. Both are good routers. For most of my work now, I use the Dewalt 611 (the trim router) unless I really need to take a lot off.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.