Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Veritas skew rabbet plane

Question about Veritas skew rabbet plane

My pair of Veritas skew rabbet planes came yesterday (Saturday here in the states). This morning, I unboxed them and set them up--and found that the cutting edge of the right plane, with the blade fully retracted, stops 3/32" below the sole. The cutting edge of the left plane, with the blade fully retracted, stops 3/64" below the sole. I have looked at them thirteen ways, and it appears to me that the only way to gain a shallower cut is to grind the oblong cut in the blade to allow more retraction. I will not grind, cut or otherwise modify anything until I have spoken to someone at Lee Valley tomorrow. I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience?

Regards,
    Dennis Droege

I just checked my (RH) Skew (NOT rabbet, but) BLOCK plane and a new blade retracts well behind the sole using the depth adjuster.

It's hard to imagine LV / Veritas let two bad planes/irons slip through QC, so I've got to wonder if you've assembled them incorrectly. However the only thing I see that would affect the minimum blade projection without screwing up something bigger is the iron has two engagement holes for the adjuster's pin. Did you perhaps use the upper hole instead of the lower one? (As the blade is sharpened away you'll need to use the upper hole once you run out of adjuster travel for the shorter blade.)

Good luck! (You don't give a location, but this is a case where I'd really like to be Canadian so I could just run it to one of their stores.)

ETA: Sorry! Fixed my statement above. I was talking about the wrong plane in the text.
    Last edited by David Bassett; 01-12-2020 at 7:35 PM. Reason: Correct plane type

Blog Entries
    Dennis, Can you post images?

That could help a lot before the day is done.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks, Derek. Here are two images. One shows that there is only one notch in the blade for the adjuster and the other shows the blade protruding 3/32" past the sole of the plane.IMG_0003.jpgIMG_0004.jpg

I think this is a bevel down plane. Your pictures show the blade bevel up. Try flipping the blade over and putting into the other hand plane. Of course I may all wet, as I've never seen one of these planes, but looking at the web site, it seems to be bevel down.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    I just checked my (RH) skew rabbet plane...
    First, my bad. I have and checked a Skew Block plane... so that post was irrelevant. (I'll go back & edit it to, try and, reduce confusion.)

Now, to your actual problem. Your pictures look like you have the irons bevel up. The Veritas instruction page shows the iron bevel-down (on page 3.)

I think that means you have the LH iron upside down in the RH plane, but don't actually have either to check.

Again, good luck.

ETA: yeah, what Richard said. (Sorry I type slow.)
    Last edited by David Bassett; 01-12-2020 at 7:31 PM. Reason: another thought

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Line View Post
    I think this is a bevel down plane. Your pictures show the blade bevel up. Try flipping the blade over and putting into the other hand plane. Of course I may all wet, as I've never seen one of these planes, but looking at the web site, it seems to be bevel down.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    First, my bad. I have and checked a Skew Block plane... so that post was irrelevant. (I'll go back & edit it to, try and, reduce confusion.)

Now, to your actual problem. Your pictures look like you have the irons bevel up. The Veritas instruction page shows the iron bevel-down (on page 3.)

I think that means you have the LH iron upside down in the RH plane, but don't actually have either to check.

Again, good luck.

ETA: yeah, what Richard said. (Sorry I type slow.)
    Looks that way to me from a quick check of the website:

The 9 3/4" long ductile cast iron body is machined with a 45° blade bed and weighs 3 1/2 lb.
    With a 45º bed angle it would be a tough push with a bevel up blade.

Try swapping the blades around and get back to us.

Don't feel bad, we have all had our forehead slapping moments.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Contact Lee Valley, Rob Lee is really helpful.

https://www.kensaq.com/web?qo=semQue...s&rch=intl1536

It's usually something I've overlooked. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Richard Line called it. I had installed the wrong blade in each plane. Thanks for the help.

Thanks, Jim. I don't beat myself up much. I've discovered the humor in something like this.

Man, I wish I had that problem when I got mine... I only got the RH so there was only one way to set up-LOL. Enjoy the new toys and fwiw, I think it is a great tool, but does require some practice to dial in both the set up and especially technique.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

DOH reminds me of the time I put the chain on a chain saw backwards. Just wouldn't cut.

I've done that, too, and I've been a certified arborist--

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Droege View Post
    Richard Line called it. I had installed the wrong blade in each plane. Thanks for the help.
    Dennis -

I will admit that I've done the same thing myself once - setting up a display at a new store, I mixed up the blades and bodies on the skew rabbets....

It such an obvious mistake - that it's very difficult to "see"....

Hope you enjoy the planes (and thanks for your order!)

Cheers -

Rob