Thread: Vacuum clamping system. Poor man's version of the Barth Vakuusyst 3.15

Vacuum clamping system. Poor man's version of the Barth Vakuusyst 3.15

I wanted a Barth Vakuusyst 3.15 but it cost $2,400 and it wouldn't fit where I wanted to use it. This link has a picture and a video (the pic on the right) of the Barth system https://rangate.com/products/barth-vakuusyst-315

I decided to make my own version out of alum and steel tube, scaffolding clamps from stage rigging, hdpe plastic, gasket material, check valves, poly tubing and a vacuum pump.

My take-away: If they were the same price I'd prefer the Barth system. My system is slightly more configurable but slightly less rigid than the Barth system. I like their kip lever clamps more than the rigging clamps I have but the kip lever clamps are 4 time more expensive). The Barth vacuum cups are better than mine and I could duplicate them for around $200 each. Barth charges $500 each for them.

I spent $120 on a used vacuum pump and $400 on other material. I'll be able to outfit two workbenches with the clamping system which share a vacuum pump and some fitting.

The pic below shows the basic vacuum "pod" that has a steel sleeve attached to the bottom. The steel sleeve slides on the aluminum post. Several shapes and different size pods were made for different applications. The silver ball in the center of the HPE is the check valve.
    IMG_0082.jpg

The pic below shows the vacuum pump on the left and the foot pedal on the right. The foot pedal allows me to start/stop the vacuum to the pods. I have the vacuum line under the mat so I don't trip on it. I'd like a better configuration but I haven't figure it out yet.
    IMG_0083.jpg

The pics below show a piece of walnut in some of the possible configurations.
    IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0093(1).jpg

The below pic shows a piece of HDPE with gasket material on both sides. The vacuum secures both the pod to the bench and the work piece to the pod. To be honest, this configuration would cover most of my needs.
    IMG_0085(1).jpg

the setup below is most like the Barth system.
    IMG_0080(1).jpg

Cheers,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by marty shultz; 01-12-2020 at 10:59 AM.
    Sorry my message is so long, I didn't have time to write a short one.

This pic show how the alum tube was attached to the bottom of the workbench.
    IMG_0055.jpg

What and where did you get the clamps for the aluminum tubing? Looks like they attach to each other.

Can you post a picture of those, thanks.

These attach one tube 90 degrees to another with a roll pin. there is still some play in the clamp so I tack welded the two pcs together.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004STXULU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

these attach to the underside of the bench
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013QUM6N4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1