Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kitchen Knives

Yes, generally speaking, carbon steel will take and hold and edge better & longer than a stainless blade, but really, equating a stainless blade with something like a dull stick is silly. I've got 2 or 3 stainless knives that are easily sharpened to a razor edge. When they dull, they get a quick touch up.
    HOWEVER -- - the carbon steel knives just need a few swipes on the Spyderco Sharpmaker to restore the edge.
    Stainless Steel doesn't respond so well to the ceramic & needs to have some sort of abrasive applied that will remove steel.

My carbon steel knives get the ceramic every time I go to use them. They see a stone, maybe once every 5 years - or more.
    Stainless blades see a stone quite a bit. The Sharpmaker can only do so much, then it's just a waste of time.

What is the best sharpening device for serrated knives? Seem to have trouble sharpening some of these knives for my wife.
    Spyderco Sharpmaker.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

We had a set of Wustoff/Henkels back in the day, up until a house fire took away most of our kitchen. My wife replaced them with a set of Harris Teeter stainless steel knives (our local grocery store) knives that did ok at best. Eventually I learned how to freehand sharpen my woodworking cutting tools, and attempted to sharpen the kitchen knives as well. It was a huge improvement . . . but they were good for about a half dozen onions/carrots/celery stalks before needing attention again. Was browsing the auction site, and ran across a seller that specialized in older Japanese kitchen knives, and most of the makers didn't have any info that I could find via the googles. I picked up three on a lark - a Deba, Nikiri, and Sashimi . . . and it was unreal the difference. Now that the wife has discovered what sharp is, and how much easier it is to use a sharp knife - those other stainless steel knives just don't get used. Plus, I think the older knives are actually easier to sharpen.