Thread: Cat urine Odor elimination

Cat urine Odor elimination

So my daughter and family live in a house with a finished family room in the basement. The flooring is carpet laid on cement. One of their cats has insisted on urinating on a large area of the carpet since they moved there, about 4 years ago. They spent a lot of money getting it cleaned with some sort of enzyme process. It killed the odor for a while but it came back. It is really offensive. So I agreed to help them take out the carpet and replace it with some sort of vinyl or engineered wood. My question is how to handle the cement. I am sure the urine has soaked all the way to the cement. If we clean it with vinegar, will that be sufficient? Do I need to seal the cement with Kilz or a similar product? Any advice would be appreciated. I want to do this job once and be done with the smell. Thanks jared

I had good results with Nature’s Miracle on a mattress.

When you take the carpet up seal the concrete before you put anything down. The smell is in the concrete and will keep coming back if you don't.

What is the best product to use to seal the concrete?

Blog Entries
    Shellac is a great sealer. Fire & flood restoration guys use a smoke seal paint. I don't know the brand, but I've seen it in white and silver, like aluminum paint. My sister bought a house that had had a serious fire that started in the basement. & went right up through the roof. You couldn't even smell a hint of smoke in there after it was sealed. Although when I drilled through some joists for wiring it sure stank.

You need to use the enzyme cleaner on the bare concrete--several treatments may be necessary. You can buy the enzyme at a pet store or janitorial supply house.

Even after multiple treatments, I would recommend sealing the floor.

In a rental we have, we used clorox (several times) then sealed it with the original oil based kilz...
    been ok for a few years now..

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Mason-Darnell View Post
    You need to use the enzyme cleaner on the bare concrete--several treatments may be necessary. You can buy the enzyme at a pet store or janitorial supply house.

Even after multiple treatments, I would recommend sealing the floor.
    I would recommend getting it at a janitorial place, or even a box store. As it's so much cheaper than at a pet store. Also, the bottles at the pet store are generally meant for spot cleaning. You'll go through a lot cleaning an area (we actually use this on the ground around our patio on a regular basis since it's so dry here).

Been there, done that. Repeated enzyme treatment, repeated deodorizing products, etc. In the end, hit it with garage floor paint to seal it. That was the only solution that killed the odor once and for all.

You can use enzyme cleaner

WEll you can use enzyme cleaner because i have 5 cats at my condo so you can understand if i don't use them than nobody would come to my home. lol

there is a special spray on odor cleaner that hospitals and nursing homes use for "human odors" that seems to neutralize most everything. rather expensive for a little couple ounces bottle. Mrs. worked at a home for mentally challenged women and brought a bottle home once. Stuff is called "m9" Used it once or twice when one of our dogs got sick.

The enzymes and deodorizers are terrific on 'soft' surfaces and fabrics, etc. They will do the job on a carpet, a couch, etc. Hardwood and tile can be cleaned with these products given much more effort. I keep all of those products in the house. But concrete is another matter. The treatments would work for a week, maybe even two, but the smell always returned. It's just in there, no two ways about it. Seal it with floor paint, smoke seal paint, garage floor sealer, take your pick. Unless you seal the concrete in some way, that smell will continue to come from the concrete under your freshly installed flooring material.

I did a 20x20 floor with one gallon of garage floor paint, stretching it. It worked, but I should have used two. Total cost $35/gallon at a big box store. It went down with a standard roller, nothing special. It'll be the best money you spend to redo that floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    there is a special spray on odor cleaner that hospitals and nursing homes use for "human odors" that seems to neutralize most everything. rather expensive for a little couple ounces bottle. Mrs. worked at a home for mentally challenged women and brought a bottle home once. Stuff is called "m9" Used it once or twice when one of our dogs got sick.
    Last edited by William Chain; 01-14-2020 at 7:39 AM.

13. o3 generator

Quote Originally Posted by Günter VögelBerg View Post
    o3 generator
    Never had one that worked with urine