Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone sell a decent small bandsaw?

Does anyone sell a decent small bandsaw?

I had to sell my house and move to an apartment in a big city. I had a great workshop at the house with all the necessary (and unnecessary) tools I could ever use. I sold off some of them to buy into the Festool line so I could continue to do a little woodworking in my apartment (you know, for dust control and all that).

I really miss having a bandsaw and tablesaw. I am now debating on whether to buy a small bandsaw but most of the 10" or 12" saws look like toys and I doubt they'd be able to run a 0.75" blade. Does anyone make a heavy-duty but small bandsaw? I don't necessarily need to use 3/4" blade, but I do want to be able to rip fairly accurately as I don't have a jointer either.

The closest thing I've seen to something "small" is the 14" powermatic, but it's still too big for the apartment I believe.

The 10” models Like the one from Rikon don’t have much resaw capacity at around 5”. Laguna 14/12 is prob a good choice for small, mobile and some resaw capacity but I’m not sure any bandsaw is really suited for inside an apartment.

https://lagunatools.com/classic-mach...andsaws/14-12/

https://www.rikontools.com/product/10-3061
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 01-12-2020 at 3:03 AM.

Nick, it might save some time for you to tell us which small bandsaws you have already ruled out.

Edit: Agree with Greg. Not sure about even a small bandsaw or (some) "shopvacs" in an apartment. I do know a couple people here on SMC use handtools in apartments though.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 01-12-2020 at 3:15 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Nick, it might save some time for you to tell us which small bandsaws you have already ruled out.

Edit: Agree with Greg. Not sure about even a small bandsaw or (some) "shopvacs" in an apartment. I do know a couple people here on SMC use handtools in apartments though.
    Yeah, I didn't bring any of my big power woodworking tools with me because well, it's an apartment and that doesn't make any sense, but I do have an outside enclave where I can do some work but I don't want to leave anything outside obviously.

So they have great jobsite tablesaw available, and I may just go with something like that, but if a good "portable" bandsaw was made I would prefer it.

I was just curious if there were any makers of small but stout bandsaws that I was missing. It seems only Rikon makes a small one, but it just seems to be built for small blades. I mean, there's no reason a small bandsaw has to use thin blades, and there is no market for a small cut capability but wide blade saw, but if one exists, I'd like to know about it. Does that make any sense?

Since you now live in a big city there is probably a Maker space or other club type wood shop you can buy time in.

Worth checking out!

If you want capacity and mobility just buy one of the 14” models that meets your needs and put it on a rockler all terrain mobile base with big wheels. It will roll over thresholds and stuff fine as long as you support the saw from tipping. Would prob be easier than toting a 10” bench model in and out.

https://www.rockler.com/rockler-all-...SABEgLXhvD_BwE
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 01-12-2020 at 6:53 AM.

I’m with Bradley, find a maker space.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shattuck View Post
    I mean, there's no reason a small bandsaw has to use thin blades, and there is no market for a small cut capability but wide blade saw, but if one exists, I'd like to know about it. Does that make any sense?
    Yes there is. Wider blades are also thicker and the thicker blades will break if the wheel diameter is too small.

Might keep you eye out for an old INCA saw.

Rikon 10-306 is a nice small saw, easily moved around and fairly light. The Laguna 14|12 is a much bigger and heavier saw. Dust collect will be the real issue no matter which saw you use.

Most 14" bandsaws don't tension a 3/4" blade correctly. No question a 10" won't. Glad I won't be living in the apartment next door to you!

12. Quote Originally Posted by Dave VanDewerker View Post
    Rikon 10-306 is a nice small saw, easily moved around and fairly light. The Laguna 14|12 is a much bigger and heavier saw. Dust collect will be the real issue no matter which saw you use.
    That is the nicest of the little band saws that I have seen. Definitely a step above most of the other 9 and 10 inch models. Whether it meets your standards is another matter. The 14" saws are an entirely different animal and not particularly small or apartment worthy by my standards, but you may have different ideas of what small is or what is okay in an apartment.

OTOH, I did have a 14" cast iron band saw in a really tiny shop in the corner of a row home basement once.

I am with Dave Sabo....check out an old Inca.

I have also seen old Delta HomeCraft and Rockwell 12" bench model saws that seem a lot more sturdy than any new ones. Not uncommon on CL.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I was also thinking Inca..

I have a three wheel Inca and had a Laguna 14/12 prior and the Inca is a way better preforming machine.

resaws with a 1/2 blade well.

Bit of a pain In the rear to get the blade tracking and tensioned properly but once you do it works great well.

Depending where you are I’d consider selling you mine. Not because I dont want it but I could use the cash for other things right now and Honeslty I’m after a deco cast iron base Delta long term.

But like Kevin suggested I think the two wheel would be preferred..
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 01-12-2020 at 8:58 PM.

The smaller 10” Inca was hands down the smoothest, most precise bandsaw in its day. It will probably be the last power tool I own. You can find them every now and then on eBay or Craigslist. There’s a Google Groups board, too, if you want to mention you’re looking for one.

Thanks.
    Kevin