Thread: SMCI S63 Planer/F4L Jointer

SMCI S63 Planer/F4L Jointer

First post to the community!

I have an opportunity to purchase two unused machines. First is an SCMI S63 24" planer with the knife grinder. Second is the SCMI F4L 16" jointer. Both are from around 1980. Neither one has ever been used, not even had power hooked up to them. They were purchased by a small corporation because they didn't want to pay taxes on their profits (would rather invest in machinery) but never did do anything with them. Now the gentleman is 86 and thinning out his estate. The deal is much too good to pass on. $2k for both machines.

I'm having a hard time finding any information on either of these machines online. SCM doesn't seem to have any information on their site, and I can't get anything from parts pronto on them either. I'd love to get my hands on the operations manual...especially for the jointer. Any idea where I can get documentation? Parts availability?

The planer has some rust on the internals (feed rollers, chipbreaker, etc.) but everything is turning freely. Motors aren't seized. Tables free of rust. I'm hoping with the first pass of lumber most of that surface rust will break free and all is well. At this price I think it's worth the gamble, but I'd really like to know about parts availability before fully committing.

Anything I should be wary of with the rusting? Opinions on both machines?

Thanks for the help.

Sean

S63_small.jpg S63_small2.jpg S63_small4.jpg F4L_small.jpg

1K each is about right. Machines that haven't been run for 40 years will need the same work as ones that have run. Bearings will likely need replacing and from the pictures, there will nedd to be lots of scotch brite and lubing work. The jointer should be the best bet as they are much simpler machines and if the tables are flat, life is good. I think SCM made some machines for either Delta or Rockwell about that time so you might info there. Dave

I am not sure why you are still thinking about this. For sure definitely buy them. Like Dave says work on the rust and bearings and you have two real good machines.Don't wait to long ,or someone else will snap up this deal.Good luck.

Why are they not already in your shop? 'Nuf said...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for your responses, really appreciate your help. I’ve secured the machines on a handshake. I’m a relatively new shop, so I’m being very conscious of cash flow. Down time isn’t a good thing, but especially not right now. Just doing some due diligence.

I couldn’t get the infeed table on the jointer to raise or lower, but I’m not familiar with the equipment. Also would want to swap the cutterheads for helical cutters. That’s why I’m seeking advice on availability of service, manuals, lessons learned, etc. from the pros who know.

The jointer also is missing the cutter guard so a parts list, and a place to source them would be handy. From what I’ve heard, parts pronto is no bueno for older machines.

Thanks for the great info on replacing the bearings. I didn’t even think about the motors sitting idle for so long.

Scott & Sargent have some nice aftermarket guards for jointers: https://www.scosarg.com/accessories-...s-for-machines

Shipping to the US is pretty reasonable.

Parts pronto is no more, at least for free. Dealing with SCM may be worse than dealing with German manufacturers.
    You will have to pay a yearly fee just to get the privilege to try an order parts, manuals, etc. that they won't have.

I wouldn't bother with insert heads, you will have another 6k in heads, plus bearings, plus whatever tools you will need to buy to do it, plus anything you break attempting it. The planer has a grinder, setting knives in the planer is quick an easy with the factory gauge and spring loaded knives. Grind a couple times, swap knives, send set out to be sharpened ever couple grinds.

That is a pretty decent planer, but a real PIA to work on.

A grand a piece is pretty hard to go wrong on! You are about to become intimately familiar with both machines, because they will need to be disassembled. Like Dave said, the jointer should be easy peasy to get back into service. I’ve never done anything involved on a planer, so that one might give me some pause. But, if it makes you feel better, I’ve seen a dozen of those mustard yellow SCMs for sale around $3-4,000 over the years. Not sure what they sold for, but just to give you an idea of what a functioning and decent condition one is usually listed for.

Listen to Darcy, he has worked on more machines than most of us combined. Insert heads will cost several thousand extra, and I’m not sure if they add a whole lot to the equation. Personally, I look at it from the perspective that I would buy a new machine with an insert head, and deal with an old machine as it is. Once the machine leaves the factory, I feel like the insert head ship has sailed. My planer is insert and my jointer is straight knife Tersa. Congrats on the two new machines. Oh, while the Suva jointer guard is the bees knees, I made a euro bridge guard out of scrap 3/4” ply and a few plastic jig knobs. It keeps my hands safe and cost me $10 and maybe an hour.

Just poked around the classifieds and you might be a match made in heaven with the guy selling random Minimax parts. He has a 16” pork chop jointer guard. I know people say the pork chops suck on wider jointers, but I personally like having two push blocks and remaining in constant contact with the board as I feed over the cutter and onto the outfeed table. The modified segmented pork chop would probably be my idea guard.

Thanks for the heads up on the pork chop guard Patrick.

I talked with someone about the S63 planer and he was able to contact SCM North America for the manual/parts list. I'll see if they can get me one next week. Though he said his knife grinder was missing a part and a replacement was unavailable, so having the parts list may not matter much anyway. All in all I see these as good investments and worth the unknown.

If you get the knife grinder working for the planer then replacing the head would be a colossal waste of money IMHO. I have a smaller, older 20" SCM with the grinder and wouldn't trade it for the fanciest aftermarket head if given to me for free! Then again..... I also think replacing the jointer head is a waste of money as knife changes are pretty infrequent and not overly time consuming.... at least for me. But thats just my opinion

You probably don't really need the manual for the jointer, I had one for mine, a copy by another Italian company, and it didn't help much. If the infeed table doesn't move, and assuming the lock itself isn't frozen, you probably have a bit of rust in the bushings. These machines have 4 bushings per table that they pivot on. They also are how you make table adjustments. Getting them out, cleaning, lubing and re-installing will be time consuming, but will likely need to be done. Just make sure to put permanent marks where the bushings line up BEFORE removing them! As for the bearings they're pretty straightforward, I just did mine this past summer. A couple hours if you have the right tools and you'll be ready for another 20 years of use!

good luck,
    JeffD

I have had 4 of those planers, one I bought in pieces (all pieces lol). Plenty of HP, feed is weak IMO, gearbox/up down took a bit to get use to. The power up/down cylinder assembly is a total PIA to work on/get to.

It took a while, but I finally got these two machines in my shop. Anyone with knowledge of the S63 and F4L know about what the CFM requirement is for the dust collection? I'm working on designing the system but technical information on these machines is hard to come by.

I guess I'll have to fabricate a dust boot for the jointer unless I can find somewhere to source one. The old one, well...seems it found a new home somewhere on the I-45 shoulder.