Thread: It's not quite here!

It's not quite here!

Can't match Roger's excellent present from his wife last week, but I'm still excited.

I was planning on purchasing a Laguna 18-36 lathe, but opted for the 24-36 and ordered it last Thursday. Took advantage of the 10% off Laguna January sale.

Got a text, this morning, from the local freight company that it is ready to be delivered, that was quick.

Ordered the 20" extension with riser and the vacuum chuck adaptor as well, but no info on when those will arrive.

Hoping for Tuesday, my 63rd birthday. (Edit: Whoops screwed up, mine is Sunday and my Son's is Tuesday)

First plan of attack will be to fabricate some kind of mobility kit for it.
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 01-12-2020 at 9:50 AM.

ChrisA, I hope you enjoy the 2436 as much as I have my 1836. I think this machine is highly underrated by many. It has performed flawlessly for me. I thought of going bigger, but now don't see the need to. This one has taken everything I've thrown at it. Well built and the finish is excellent.
    Congrats and enjoy.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Chris, be ready to build a weight box. I have one on my 1836 that is built around a pair of 2x12’s and inside are six 50lb bags of sand and prob another 100+ lbs of scrap metal pieces stored on top of the sand. It makes the lathe rock solid and I’m able to use the box to lift and move the lathe with my pallet jack easily.

enjoy it. Should be a fine machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Chris, be ready to build a weight box. I have one on my 1836 that is built around a pair of 2x12’s and inside are six 50lb bags of sand and prob another 100+ lbs of scrap metal pieces stored on top of the sand. It makes the lathe rock solid and I’m able to use the box to lift and move the lathe with my pallet jack easily.

enjoy it. Should be a fine machine.
    Wow, over 600 pounds isn't enough mass for you? In over 20 years i've never wanted more mass in my Oneway 24-36.

depends on what you mount to it. I have more weight than some but lots of folks build ballast boxes for the laguna. Regardless of the lathe weight I’ve had large items cause it to start trying to walk before they were turned more into balance. The 2436 puts that weight a little higher than mine.

im sure the one way 24-36 is a different animal just like the American Beauty Robust is. You have a massive center tube providing way more stability than our steel way design. Anyway to each their own but mine sure benefited from the weight.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 01-12-2020 at 9:37 AM.

This type of thing may not work for a larger lathe like yours, but I just bought a smaller lathe and build a mobile workbench to go under it. I use the top drawer to hold my lathe chisels, the bottom drawer to hold pen turning blanks and supplies, and the bottom cabinet to hold my face shield. I built it big enough to put a low-speed grinder for sharpening the chisels on the back. I've subsequently added a OneWay Wolverine sharpening jig and an eye hook to hold the coiled extension cord with a small bungee cord. It is all 3/4" plywood construction except for four small maple pieces above each of the caster wheels. I like it a lot so far.

20191228_163718.jpg

There was a great post, about a week ago, where somebody made a storage cabinet, that went under the lathe and had scissor jacks on each end, built into the cabinet. The cabinet was on casters and provided storage, but the scissor jacks could be used to lift the lathe under the bed and then the cabinet ad lathe could be moved appropriately.

I'm leaning towards this a) to provide mobility, b) provide storage for my lathe tools and accessories.

If I really need the extra ballast, I'll figure that one out down the road, but has anyone actually anchored their lathe to the concrete floor?

It arrived, along with the bed extension and vacuum chuck adaptor.

Now I just have to finish a project for the boss(wife) before I can break the box open.....

Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 01-15-2020 at 5:26 PM.

Congrats! I’ve loved mine so far (7 months).
    tom

Boy, that's what I call incentive to get a project done! Congrats!