Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to degrease & clean a piece. (The ergonomics of it.)

Patrick ,sounds like you did a great job on what must have been a pretty dirty unit.

Well it is 46 years old and was original paint in terrible alligatoring off like glass. I stripped and sandblasted every last part down to the bare cast. Not one drop of paint left on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Patrick ,sounds like you did a great job on what must have been a pretty dirty unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    I’ve done a ton of these types of repairs and it’s not rocket science: Brake cleaner, then compressed air. And preferably not in a shop that’s freezing cold. Good luck,

Erik
    That's exactly how I do it. I buy a case of brake cleaner in aerosol cans at a time when I find a good deal. I like the convenience of the cans and the directed stream.

JKJ

I like lacquer thinner for this type of cleaning. I find it to be more aggressive than acetone. Be sure to wear gloves and a respirator. Most lacquer thinner contains MEK (among other nasty chemicals). You definitely don't want it in contact with your skin or to breath the vapors. I buy it by the gallon.
    David

I prefer to start my degreasing with good old hot water and dish detergent. Car parts, metal furniture parts, it all gets a bath first. Nothing moves filth better than a high volume of solvent. After that a wipe down with lacquer thinner gets at any remaining grease. If I'm prepping for finish, alcohol removes thinner residue.