Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bandsaw dust collection question

My startrite bandsaw has a rotating brush to wipe chips off the blade. It is non powered so friction move sit around.
    Bill D.

On my 14" delta BS I put a piece of split wire loom over the blade slot on the left. It helped reduce the dust thrown up into the air by the blade on it's way up. It pulls off easy for blade changes.
    Bil lD

I have used old tooth brushes in the past but found that mounting them in a way they don't move to be a little difficult. I like that PVC idea. I should be possible to mount the brushes too the PVC. I think the commercially available ones are cheap.

Wood Magazine had a "Top Tip" (mine) using a 4" sewer Tee under table. One side was blocked off, and tee was held in place with a couple Rockler blast gate mounting brackets. Been over ten years since it was published. I know there was a recent email tip featuring it. Over at a NC based forum, you could search and find it.

Lee, what you say about Cosman's design working better if the far end of the tube was open to allow more air flow makes sense. Thanks for that insight.
    Andrew, thanks for that indepth explanation of the differences between shopvacs and dust collectors, and the link to the test. I suppose few shopvacs are designed to be used for a long period without a break.
    Some ingenious solutions here. I'm happy there are workable solutions I can just copy.

On my old 10" delta, I used the white angled 4" plastic piece (with the square mounting edges) shown in an earlier picture. I got that up as close as I could get it and made brackets to attach to existing bolts on the bottom of the table. I made the metal attachment brackets angled to directly target where I wanted to vacuum sawdust by looking up into it. Then I slid a 4" OD PVC pipe up into it (snug fit) and trimmed the edges until it pretty much was right up to the cutting edge of the blade right after coming through the table AND under the lower guides. I then put some small sheet metal screws through the white plastic piece into the 4" pvc to hold it in place. The pvc piece was cut to protrude out the back end of the white piece by only an inch or two. Then I then attached about 4 feet of 4" flex dust collection hose to it and then to
    a sheet metal 4" to 5" reducer (Lowes)which then connected to my system. Although almost all my ductwork is 5" with a 2hp Powermatic dust collection system (small compact shop), even with necking down to 4", I still have lots of suction. I think targeting the suction is the key, getting it as close as you can to the source of the sawdust. Mine works great. Good luck. Randy PS That is the only collection point on my BS.
    Last edited by Randall J Cox; 01-13-2020 at 1:27 PM. Reason: clarity