Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Touch Screen Computer

Touch Screen Computer

Sometime ago Gary Campbell I think it was, had some all in one Touch Screen computers for sale. Then someone else recommended yet another brand? I have Searched and can not find. Can someone help me out. Thanks in advance.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Touch screen monitors are easy to come by and yes, Gary has done some nice work with them. Depending on the controller software being used, there may be a few quirks based on what I remember from his video(s). Amazon is your friend...

I do not recall any all-in-one touch screen computers being used but it would likely come down to what interface is required for the controller software. I certainly couldn't use one with WinCNC because of the PCi requirement. Gary has worked with the small "brick" fanless computers--he had one at Aspire Camp in 2018...and they can pair well with a touch screen monitor.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim, I was asking because we are down here in the south warming up vacation and the local thrift store has some re-furbed Win 10 Pro? brick compters very compact size but they require either a touch screen or standard keyboard and monitor.

Sounds like a nice opportunity to have something to play with, Bill. I think that even if I had a touch screen, I'd still want a keyboard and rodent available for those times when it's either the easier choice or for when one of those little caveats surface with a particular application. But a decent wireless keyboard/mouse combination is really inexpensive. The set I put on my CNC controller machine recently (to get rid of the wires) was $24.00 and works great. I even just had a close friend buy that same set as a replacement for the OEM keyboard/mouse that came with her all-in-one that had become horribly unreliable.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I remember either al in one or touchscreen monitors also. Can't remember if it was on this forum or another and Gary was the one I believe that had them. I can't find anything on them now. I'd like to get a touchscreen monitor for my Acorn setup but haven't found one cheap enough when I am looking for me to buy. Not sure how much I would use the touchscreen since I am so used to mouse but would be nice to have just in case.

I did see someone was having issues with a touchscreen monitor on the Centroid Acorn forum. If memory serv+ Reply to Threades me right, they thought it was dust in the shop causing the screen to act up. Might want to look into that.

So far I am finding expensive monitors I may rethink the whole
    thing.

I converted my Milltronics CNC mill to Centroid and used a Lenovo tiny computer that's mounted to the back of a 22" ELO touchscreen. I added a silicone encased keyboard and mouse pad that is water proof (which works with chips and coolant too). I use the touch screen for certain things, sometimes with my fingers, sometimes with a little pointing device with a rubber tip. Keyboard still works best for typing things.

IMG_3366.jpg

Ooops, not sure why the pic is rotated.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

Here is an example of an all-in-one Touch Screen pc. Perhaps available at better pricing elsewhere.
    David

https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid...ontroller.html
    Touch Screen PC all-in-one.jpg

Lots of them on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...puter&_sacat=0
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 01-12-2020 at 5:00 PM.

Nice setup Brian! Do I remember correctly that you had a small write-up on a coolant sprayer/mister nozzle setup that you built for your mill.
    If so, could you please provide a link.
    Thanks,
    David

IMG_3366.jpg

Hi David,

Thanks! Yes, I built an MQL type sprayer and have been using it for years. I occasionally have to replace the mixing valve, but they aren't too expensive. Some of the links in the pdf might be too old, but it's all pretty self explanatory. File is too large to attach, but here is a link to it on Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wsggc0nmez...rayer.pdf?dl=0
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

Thanks Brian!
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    Here is an example of an all-in-one Touch Screen pc. Perhaps available at better pricing elsewhere.
    David

https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid...ontroller.html
    Touch Screen PC all-in-one.jpg

Lots of them on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...puter&_sacat=0
    I see a lot of refurb Dells and HP's which make me wonder. There is a guy on eBay selling a newish Toshiba but its hard to get excited about paying $300 plus for a used one, when you see new 50 inch flat screens at Walmart for the same price.

If I could fins a touchscreen monitor cheap, I'd definitely buy it but if it got over maybe $100 I don't think that I would because I am afraid that I have used a keyboard and mouse for so many years that I would forget it was touchscreen and still use the old method out of habit. I think I'd rather put that money into an MPG right now. I'd have more use out of it.

Bobby,
    I've got a wireless keyboard - so I can use it sort of like a "poor mans" MPG. Centroid cnc12 lets you turn on the preassigned function keys. I also do the same thing with Mach3.
    David

20200115_225921.jpg

Use the same for now but I'm about 8 feet away from screen and cant read the functions and can't remember what they are so end up walking back to use mouse to change the speed or something else. It sucks to get old first the eyesite goes then the memory