Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet JWP-15HO Planer

Jet JWP-15HO Planer

I have the opportunity to purchase a used Jet 15" planer, the older blue model. From my research this was most likely made in Taiwan as opposed to the newer models that are made in China, so it should be of a higher quality. It doesn't have the infeed/outfeed table rollers, but it is in pristine condition and it has been upgraded with a Shelix cutterhead. I can get it for less than $1000, seems like a good deal. As I am not familiar with this model of planer, I would like to get others opinion to make sure I am not overlooking a flaw with this machine. Thanks for your input.

I’ve had that exact model planer (without rollers too) for about 5 or 6 years. It’s been a great machine really.

I had to disassemble it because it had been stored in a barn for a while and had surface rust. Once that was done I adjusted it and it’s cut great without any adjustments or snipe the whole time.

Never needed the outfeed or infeed rollers either. Just walk around and catch longer boards.

I bought mine for about $400 with straight knives and need some work as I said. $1000 with a byrd head is a pretty good deal, seeing that it’s about a $700 upgrade and it’s already installed for you.

Thanks for the info, this one is in great shape I only see 1 ir 2 small rust dots. I haven't picked it up yet, so how do you move it around with the wheels, also do you get any witness marks from the metal rollers? I currently use the dealt 635 with rubber rollers. Great little planer but loud as hell.

Sorry dewalt 735, autocorrect got me.

Mine doesn’t roll the greatest, but I’m not moving it a bunch so no big deal. If you plan to move it a lot you might want to add better casters or a mobile base.

The serrated outfeed roller on mine will leave marks if you run a board though then take a gnats hair deeper cut the next time. I generally don’t sneak up on thicknesses like that so it’s never been a problem. You can get a rubber outfeed roller from a Delta if it really bothers you, but IIRC it’s about $200+. Wasn’t worth it to me.

And the Jet isn’t exactly quiet. It’s a lower octave than the lunchbox planers but you still need hearing protection.

Thanks for the info. I think the shelix cutterhead will be a benefit as I'm always replacing the blades on the dewalt. I run a lot of epoxy through it

I just sold a delta Dc 380 with three sets of great quality knives and a mobile base for $780. I would buy that thing before someone else does. All of the four post planers are really pretty well the same machines and work fine once adjusted.

Ok, I am picking it up tomorrow.

Great! Post pics of your haul!

Sure thing.

Here's the haul, planes good and is really quiet.

Looks very familiar! Nice and clean and appears in great shape. Nice get.

Yes it's in great shape and about one third as loud as the old dewalt dw735.

Nice looking machine,congrats.