Thread: Offset Drawer Faces to Drawer Boxes

Offset Drawer Faces to Drawer Boxes

I'm currently drawing up a single base cabinet (45" wide) for an island. The LH half will be 4 drawers and the RH half will be 1 drawer and 1 door. Face frame construction. I was planning on my 3 Stiles each being 1.5 wide. When I do a 1/2" reveal between faces and to the left & right edges, I end up having to offset my faces to the left and right on my drawer boxes. Currently the left drawer bank would have the 21-3/4 drawer faces overhanging the 19-1/4 drawer boxes by 1-1/2 on the left and 1 inch on the right. Is this acceptable looking or does it look really bad when I open the drawer and it's been done this way?

I could make a wider center stile, but the stile would end up 2-1/2 wide to make the overhang an equal 1-1/2 inches each side of the now smaller 18-3/4 boxes. The customer (LOML) will certainly question the wider center stile, so I better have a good reason if I have to go that way.

Sure, put more overhang on one side than the other. Somebody who is opening the drawer is already focused on whatever they’re going to take of the drawer. They’ll never notice the unequal overhang. However, if the cabinet looks weird when the drawers are closed, that will be obvious and irksome.

Blog Entries
    Is there a reason why you want each drawer face to have 1-1/4" overlap on the stiles on each side? Why not just reduce the overlap of the drawer faces to 1/2-3/4" per side?

I generally make drawers with 1/4"-1/2" overlap on the stiles.
    heidiec.jpg
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-10-2020 at 9:36 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Is there a reason why you want each drawer face to have 1-1/4" overlap on the stiles on each side? Why not just reduce the overlap of the drawer faces to 1/2-3/4" per side?

I generally make drawers with 1/4"-1/2" overlap on the stiles.
    heidiec.jpg
    The overhang amounts of 1-1/2 and 1" are the drawer face to the drawer box. These result in face frame overlay of 1" left and 1/2" right.

If I revise the L&R stiles to 1-1/4" that would make the drawer face overhangs 1-1/4" and 1". Which would be much closer to equal. I'm concerned that when the drawer is open and looking down at the drawer box and see a gross offset is some sort of gross design error.