Thread: Making maker's marking tool

Making maker's marking tool

Having made a few pieces of furniture for the house now, I'm starting to feel like I should put a maker's mark on them. I take it these are often burned in with a hot iron.
    How does one create the marking iron? I don't have any specialized metalworking tools.

Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Mikes View Post
    Having made a few pieces of furniture for the house now, I'm starting to feel like I should put a maker's mark on them. I take it these are often burned in with a hot iron.
    How does one create the marking iron? I don't have any specialized metalworking tools.

Thanks in advance!
    You could also use a small carving gouge if your mark isn't too intricate.

Here is something of mine done about ten years ago:

Maker's Mark.jpg

In the lower left of the image it can also be seen where my initials were made with letter stamps.

The date is carved in at another spot. All were filled in with a fine Sharpie.

jtk

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Haven’t watched it but remembered seeing this video ( https://youtu.be/fK4QFtrhr4M ) come up recently. Maybe it will help you.

Terry Desilets at Custom Branding Irons made one for me that is my signature. I stamp the date with a set of metal punches. Nice guy to deal with. https://www.branding-irons.biz/index.html

tom

Why do you want to put your name on your work?
    Are thinking you might forget that you made it.
    Aj

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Maybe you could ask someone like my grandchildren who want me to sign my work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I sign and date, mostly because even 25 years ago I would forget when I made something.

9. There is another thread here regarding medallions that might interest you. Laser engraving your name or logo on a small wood disc in a common size that can be insert in a shallow hole bored with a Forstner bit. IMO looks a bit more professional that an engraver.

There are other options besides branding irons. Historically in America the most common markings were paper labels, handwritten ink, and stamped impressions. They also did burn in marks, but I’m just saying there are other options. Burning is particularly trendy these days and what all the cool kids are doing. Personally, I use letter stamps and impress my name and city. Then for special items (like a gift for my wife or son), I’ll also write the date and a dedication.

I use an old wood burner pen and put my initials and the year on almost everything I make. I think I started doing it around 97. Now I pick up things I made and am often surprised at how long they've been around.

12. I put my name on my builds because otherwise my wife won't believe I made it. Even when I mark 'em, she sometimes doesn't believe me. I don't get no respect.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron