Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving New Tablesaw into the basement

I third or fourth the idea of taking the top off. I would expect to be aligning any new saw coming into my shop. Once broken down, there is not going to be any single part that should give you trouble.

2. I moved this same saw into my basement down narrow, steep century old stairs. I left the middle of the top and the motor in and got a strong friend to help me. It really wasn't that bad. It's fairly compact when you strip it down. I didn't have to go through the house, though.

The Jointer/Planer machine was another story...

Thank you all for your suggestions. I anticipated having to do a table alignment whether I removed the top or not so removing the top is OK with me. Thank you for confirming that this whole idea i doable. I will let you know how I make out.

Update - Pulled the trigger on the saw and it as delivered on Friday. I rented a Powermate Stair Climbing Hand Truck and was able to safely move the saw down through the house and into the basement without issue by myself. The only difficult part was turning the saw and hand truck on the stair landing 90 degrees with very little room to tip it back over again. That part alone took about 10 minutes. Next time I will build an extension on the landing over the next step to give me more room.

The hand truck cost me $115 to rent but with the investment in the saw I think it was worthwhile not to manhandle it and risk damage to the saw, house or me. Also did not have to disassemble anything to make it lighter.

Congratulations on the new saw.... Now we need to see pictures.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fuller View Post
    Update - Pulled the trigger on the saw and it as delivered on Friday. I rented a Powermate Stair Climbing Hand Truck and was able to safely move the saw down through the house and into the basement without issue by myself. The only difficult part was turning the saw and hand truck on the stair landing 90 degrees with very little room to tip it back over again. That part alone took about 10 minutes. Next time I will build an extension on the landing over the next step to give me more room.

The hand truck cost me $115 to rent but with the investment in the saw I think it was worthwhile not to manhandle it and risk damage to the saw, house or me. Also did not have to disassemble anything to make it lighter.
    Smart choice. Better safe than sorry. I once tried taking a frig down a flight of steps by myself using a standard frig dolly. I lost it about 2 steps down. It wasn't pretty. That was a long time ago. I'm much wiser now

7. I am with the person who recommended hiring movers. the movers are insured if anything would damage the saw.

My wife and I moved a Uni-Saw to the basement , many moons ago, removed the motor and the wings. Did not remove the top . no problems - but now I am older and wiser - sure would recommend having movers do it.