Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to straighten long boards

Best way to straighten long boards

I'm trying to think through the best method to straighten 8ft or longer 2x lumber. I was originally going to build a sled (like a tapering jig) but think an 8ft long sled for this may be too large for me to work with. I then thought that I could just use a circular saw with an edge guide, which would wokr fine. I then saw a video last night where someone mimicked the "joint on a router" methods I've seen with a table saw by cutting an 1/8" strip out of a portion of the edge of a board and then using that as a sacrificial fence so that the part of the board behind the saw blade is 1/8" wider than the portion in front of the blade.

This last method seems to be the easiest method but I haven't seen any discussions online comparing the methods for straightening longer pieces so wanted to see if anyone had suggestions for considerations I should factor into my decision.

Thanks in advance for any comments!

A flush trim router bit with a straight edge works as well.

+1 To Cary's solution. Leave the material stationary and rip a strip of (or use a good factory edge), clamp it to the work, and top bearing router bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    A flush trim router bit with a straight edge works as well.
    A saw will be much faster if there is something like 1/2" or more to be removed from the 2x stock.

Best way to straighten the edge of rough lumber is with a track saw and long track.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Seems first thing we need to know is what is in your toolkit?
    Hard to advise properly without knowing what is at your disposal.

No trouble at all straightening an 8' board on any length jointer.

I have a Festool track saw and use that sometimes.

My other method, I bought a cheap melamine 8' shelf from Home Depot. I clamp my work piece to that and use the finished edge, of the shelf, against my table saw fence and get a good straight edge passing this through the table saw. Before I had a good size in feed and out feed tables, I use cheap support rollers.

Thanks for all of the responses. I considered the router option but think that will take a long time and a number of passes and I don't have bits long enough to do 2x material unless in one pass. I don't have a jointer either, but I have a table saw, router and circular saw.

The melamine shelf idea is similar to the sled concept I have considered. How do you clamp the board down to the to shelf (did you turn the shelf into a sled with clamps built into it)? I guess I was thinking the sled concept needed to ride in the miter slot which was going to be difficult because I didn't want to cut 7+ long miter extensions into my out feed table, but just using the fence as suggested would avoid that issue.

8 feet really isn't long though.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Best way to straighten the edge of rough lumber is with a track saw and long track.
    Heck yes!!!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Heck yes!!!
    Actually the best way is a SLR or gang rip.

You also haven't specified if you're attempting to do this with the edge or face of the board.

Gary's solution is a great idea. You could also use a straight 8 foot piece of plywood, double-stick tape the board to the plywood, and run the plywood against the rip fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Tippin View Post
    Thanks for all of the responses. I considered the router option but think that will take a long time and a number of passes and I don't have bits long enough to do 2x material unless in one pass. I don't have a jointer either, but I have a table saw, router and circular saw.

The melamine shelf idea is similar to the sled concept I have considered. How do you clamp the board down to the to shelf (did you turn the shelf into a sled with clamps built into it)? I guess I was thinking the sled concept needed to ride in the miter slot which was going to be difficult because I didn't want to cut 7+ long miter extensions into my out feed table, but just using the fence as suggested would avoid that issue.
    I drilled a few 1/4 holes in the melamine shelf, recessed the head of 1/4 bolts and used these type of clamps to hold the piece to be straightened. I'd adjust the fence position as necessary. I didn't use the miter slots, I just kept the edge of the melamine pressed hard up against the saw fence.