Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cat pee stains.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Is the finish sanded off on the stained areas? For any liquid treatment to work it has to go onto the bare wood.

John
    Yes, the finish is sanded off.

@Tom M King, yeah and I would have left it after what you and others said here but it was worth a try to my customer
    and after I will have tried oxalic acid I will seal it up no matter what with minwax oil modified poly since that is what I have at hand.

Hydrogen peroxide works - but the drug store stuff, 3%, won't do it. I have had great success with 30%, diluted to 15% with water. You will need to get this from a chemical company. Here are a couple of sources:

https://www.amazon.com/Stabilized-Cr...478927&sr=8-16

https://www.amazon.com/W-Bionics-Per...9478841&sr=8-8

Note that the "40 volume" is 12% concentration.

When my son purchased a town house with cat pee everywhere downstairs, it was so strong it made our eyes water (he wondered why the heavy smell of air fresheners when he lloked at it). We removed the carpet and pad (ugh!) and the tack strip was rotted! The concrete slab was saturated. I went by a chemical company that we did business with and picked up 2 gallons of 30%. Diluted to 15% with water and applied with a garden sprayer; it fizzed and bubbled like crazy. Kept applying until fizzing ceased. We left for lunch and upon return, we could smell the carpet on the curb a block away (bet the neighbors loved that) !! Inside, there was no odor at all.

All that said, 30% H2O2 is not to be taken lightly. GOOD rubber gloves, eye protection and at least a dust mask to avoid inhaling the mist are essential. If you get it on your skin (I have some right now, from dealing with an antique dresser with the usual odor) it causes the skin to turn white and sting. This lasts about 1/2 hour and returns to normal. Would not want to try it in the eyes.
    Last edited by carey mitchell; 01-19-2020 at 7:58 PM.

This was not about odor. It was about stain in Oak flooring.

Both pics are taken after being treated with 10% hydrogen peroxide for a few days with no real effect on the stains.
    The floor boards will be removed now.

Did you ever try the pure oxalic acid?

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Did you ever try the pure oxalic acid?

John
    No, I was thinking about that but since all I tried did not do anything as some members here correctly predicted tearing out the effected strips is the next step.

To finish this up here are the pics of the fix.

Thank you for all the help and next time I know.

That turned out very well. Nice work.

John