Thread: you know you married well when..........

you know you married well when..........

Drove an hour and half in very strong winds to CU Woodshop in Champagne-Urban to get a piece of walnut to finish the %&%$@*&&% small conference table I'm working, and my wife and I have a thing where I call and tell her I arrived safe and sound. Which I did from the parking lot, and she asked how the drive was. I told her the van was being blown around pretty good on the interstate cuz it was empty and light. And she told me, bless her heart, "Buy lots of wood so you have some weight in it coming back". To which I could only respond "As you wish".

Came back with walnut, ambrosia maple, sapele, paduak, QSWO (which is like clamps - you can never have too much), curly cherry, and of course some wenge, because it's heavy.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Pretty nice lady, for sure.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

yup ya definitely married well

Blog Entries
    Wife bought me a Bosch Glide for Christmas. The thing arrived bend and Bosch, despite trying very hard, couldn’t resolve the problem. Wifey saw my disappointment so she bought me a Sawstop ICS instead.

off topic. Two days ago, same wife was driving downtown a spotted a 2nd grade kid looking lost. She parked the car and asked him if he was alone and the kid started crying. It seems that his nanny dropped him off for a class not realizing the place was closed due to weather. Wife took him to a coffee shop to warm up. She tried calling his mom but her phone died. She asked the barista if she could borrow a phone and every hand in the place went up offering a phone. She got mom called and arranged for a nanny pickup.

I would have done the same thing but I kind of doubt that I would have noticed the kid in the first place. The kid was lucky that my wife, with 31 years in elementary education happened by.
    Last edited by Roger Feeley; 01-10-2020 at 8:18 AM.

I think you should keep her...and also plan ALL your lumber acquisition trips when windy conditions are forecast...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Wife bought me a Bosch Glide for Christmas. The thing arrived bend and Bosch, despite trying very hard, couldn’t resolve the problem. Wifey saw my disappointment so she bought me a Sawstop ICS instead.

off topic. Two days ago, same wife was driving downtown a spotted a 2nd grade kid looking lost. She parked the car and asked him if he was alone and the kid started crying. It seems that his nanny dropped him off for a class not realizing the place was closed due to weather. Wife took him to a coffee shop to warm up. She tried calling his mom but her phone died. She asked the barista if she could borrow a phone and every hand in the place went up offering a phone. She got mom called and arranged for a nanny pickup.

I would have done the same thing but I kind of doubt that I would have noticed the kid in the first place. The kid was lucky that my wife, with 31 years in elementary education happened by.

Roger - your story is exactly why I started this thread. Those of us that don't make a living from woodworking, but are just passionate about it, don't go it alone. We spend time in the shop, we spend money, we wear our disappointments and triumphs on our sleeves, and it's our partners that are there for all of it. And they don't often get the recognition they deserve. I figured this might give some of us a chance to throw some props their way and acknowledge how lucky we are to have found a partner who accepts our obsession, even tho they may not understand it. Thank your wife for me for being there for that kid. ANd, of course, enjoy the Sawstop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I think you should keep her...and also plan ALL your lumber acquisition trips when windy conditions are forecast...
    It's nice to know you wouldn't take advantage of a situation Jim!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Thanks Bill,

yep, she’s a keeper. I do try to Stay in her good graces by making sure that stuff she wants always go to the top of the priority list.

watching her with children is like watching a magic show. Misbehavior that would make my head explode is nothing for her to handle. After retiring from the aforementioned 31 years in education, she was recruited to another 8 years with a program called Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports. PBIS is basically a way of helping schools solve discipline problems. She wrote some of their training manuals so you could say that she wrote the book on school discipline. Now imagine taking all that experience and pointing it at our two grandsons. One of them will start some bad behavior and Diane will put some strategy in place that nips it in the bud.

I should add that, in large part due to her excellent grandmothering, I am able to take my older grandson (4 yrs old) into the shop and trust that he will follow instructions. I’ve been doing it since he was three. We repair a lot of toys.
    Last edited by Roger Feeley; 01-10-2020 at 2:09 PM.

the windier the better

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post

That poor little kid. Such a kind deed! Your wife sounds pretty amazing Roger.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    It's nice to know you wouldn't take advantage of a situation Jim!
    Well, I made Professor Dr. SWMBO the CEO and majority shareholder for the company. She generally stays out of things, but I also recently bought her a brand new lightweight laptop from company funds to insure she could do her CEO duties comfortably, rather than put the money in my own account to get back a little of my startup investment. So yea, I DO take advantage of "how the wind is blowing" when you come to think about it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Last week, my wife's husband drove 224 miles round trip to closest Kroger to get her a case of her favorite candy. She has been putting up with him for almost 44 years now, so hopefully she will keep him.

Well, I made Professor Dr. SWMBO the CEO and majority shareholder for the company. She generally stays out of things, but I also recently bought her a brand new lightweight laptop from company funds to insure she could do her CEO duties comfortably, rather than put the money in my own account to get back a little of my startup investment. So yea, I DO take advantage of "how the wind is blowing" when you come to think about it.
    A little free advice? She'll probably figure the scam out about the 2nd or 3rd time when you say "I'm going to wait until "such and such a day" when it's supposed to be windier." Just sayin'!

This week we began the redecorating of the LR. I told her when we were shopping for carpet "You know the rule?" She replied "Yes dear. For every project you get a new tool. What do you want now?" I really like my newly acquired Bosch GLL-50 laser level. The laser in this one is so much brighter than the cheaper one I bought, tried and took back a few years ago. This one is actually useable.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Last week, my wife's husband drove 224 miles round trip to closest Kroger to get her a case of her favorite candy. She has been putting up with him for almost 44 years now, so hopefully she will keep him.
    Your wife's husband is an odds on favorite to stay put. But I gotta ask. What kind of candy?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Your wife's husband is an odds on favorite to stay put. But I gotta ask. What kind of candy?
    Kroger's brand of cinnamon jelly hearts. Unfortunately, someone had already bought a bag from case, so she only got 23 bags. Wife, three grand kids and a friend are addicted to them. Don't even think about offering them any of Brachs, they aren't the same, at least according to them. I wouldn't know, as I don't care much for cinnamon.