Thread: New Kakuuchi Oiirenomi From Stan

New Kakuuchi Oiirenomi From Stan

The new chisels are Kakuuchi Oiirenomi vs. the more common Mentori Oiirenomi. The biggest difference is the hard steel extends up the side of chisel and there is no bevel on the sides much like a western firmer chisel.

A photo of the two bevels, the Kakuuchi chisel on the right has not been sharpened so it is a little duller looking.

mentoriKakuuchiBevel.jpg

In this photo and the next you can see the bevel of the Mentori vs. no bevel on the Kakuuchi chisel.

mentoriKakuuchiTop.jpg

The two chisels from the side.

mentoriKakuuchiSide.jpg

I do not like to work more than a chisel or two at a time so I expect it will be a couple of weeks before they are ready for use.

ken

Ken,
    please update us on your experience with the Kakuuchi chisels when you begin to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Mathewson View Post
    Ken,
    please update us on your experience with the Kakuuchi chisels when you begin to use them.
    Keith,

Will do. I expect it will be a few weeks, just knowing how I approach a new set of chisels. I find if I try to do all or most at one time I do not do a good job. It's much better to do one right, take a break from chisel prep and do something else before doing the next. Slow progress but a better outcome.

ken

Hi Ken
    I agree, pushing thru to the end of a task makes it a chore.

It seems that side bevel vs square shoulders makes it a very different chisel, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Hi Ken
    I agree, pushing thru to the end of a task makes it a chore.

It seems that side bevel vs square shoulders makes it a very different chisel, no?
    Tom,

These are my first chisels of this form. I expect in use they will be much like a western firmer chisel, a little more robust but not a lot different. I can see them being very useful for the finish trimming of dovetail pins and tenons with fewer bevel cuts on the sides of my fingers.

More once I put 'em to work.

ken

ken

Ken,

My wallet dislikes you.

I still think you're alright though. Always wanted a set of kakuuchi nomi. Thanks for posting!
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post
    Ken,

My wallet dislikes you.

I still think you're alright though. Always wanted a set of kakuuchi nomi. Thanks for posting!
    Brian,

Sorry about that. I think Stan still has some in stock.

I've got the 24mm almost ready to be used. I'm looking forward to metal meets wood.

ken

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    [edited]
    I've got the 24mm almost ready to be used. I'm looking forward to metal meets wood.

ken
    Hi Ken,

How about doing a post on how these get set up?

My likelihood of acquiring such a chisel is low, but there are likely others who would be very interested.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Hi Ken,

How about doing a post on how these get set up?

My likelihood of acquiring such a chisel is low, but there are likely others who would be very interested.

jtk
    Jim,

Good suggestion but a better one would be to follow this link https://covingtonandsons.com/category/chisel-setup/

I had to split the reply. For some reason the link keeps following my typing.

Stan does a better job showing the how to than I could and most of what I would write would just be plagiarizing his work.

ken