Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Router Plane in 2020

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM Martin View Post
    It just didn't feel solid and secure to me... like there was slop or play. I should clarify that it wasn't anything that made the plane unusable by any means. It was more of an annoyance than anything else. It was my first router plane so I don't have anything else to compare it to. After reading the comments here, it seems "normal".
    John, I am coming in a little late here.

First of all, be aware that I have close-ish affiliations with Veritas. Nevertheless, I try and tell it as it is. I have used both LN and Veritas router planes a lot, and my preference is for the Veritas. The LN is an excellent router plane, and at one time had a better depth stop system than the Veritas - which is one of two most-important features in my book. Later, Veritas updated their depth stop to a very similar system (I was one of a few pushing for this), and it is now as good as the LNs'.

The area where the LN falls out-of-contention is not in its design or how it is used - as I said before, this is an excellent router plane. The issue is the relative shortage in blade choice. The Veritas has a wide range of blade widths as well as accessories that may be used. The LN relies on the smaller blades for the Small Router, and then these need to be used with an adapter (which is not the most secure item in the world .. it drops out). I do wish LN would produce a similar selection of blades since this area becomes my constant comment, and I hate sounding off like this.

Another difference is in the fences of these two router planes. Keep in mind that LN followed the design of Stanley, which used a fence with limited travel. The Veritas fence is a purpose designed accessory. Fences are relevant for stringing along edges of tables, etc.

The second most important feature in a router plane (after the depth stop) is the blade adjustment system. This has been your criticism. The fact is that the Veritas has a fabulous system. It is spring-assisted, which means that some tension/pressure is kept on the blade/cutter when loosened. This keeps the blade in position. The LN does not have this system, and loosening off the blade reaches a critical degree, and the blade will move. Now, having stated that the Veritas system is great, there can be a problem with it. I have not experienced it myself, and I think that it is rare - I have only ever heard one person mention it (perhaps two - you may be the other!). This was Paul Sellers. He complained that he could not get enough tension to tighten down his blade, and then went and build a special spanner to tighten it beyond belief. Perhaps his fanboys loved this, but his method was OTT. He deleted my solution, which was this ...

The knob tightening the collar ...

... has within it a piston ...

The piston may stick, and if so will not compress or de-compress. If this happens, then the collar will not tighten enough. Solution? Clean it!

Bottom line, the Large Veritas is the best router plane available at present. I do like the LN, and if blade sizes are not important, I think all would be happy with one.

Regards from Munich

Derek

Don’t mean to hijack the thread, but a few years ago with great fanfare Walke-Moore introduced their version of the Preston and/or Tyzack router plane, perhaps the best design ever. They quickly sold out the first batch and created a waiting list for the next run. Evidently they had a lot of production issues and it took more than a year to make that run available. But it was plagued with defects in the castings and it now appears production has ceased. Their website hasn’t been updated in almost a year and almost everything is listed as sold out. Anyone know if they’re still in business?

A question about the blade choices: I vaguely remember that the Veritas blades would fit the original Stanley design, no? Would they fit in the LN if you so chose?

Hi Tony

The quick answer is no. LN and Veritas have different shaped shanks. The LN are square, as is the Veritas , but the latter are turned 45 degrees. The Veritas blades may be used in a Stanley or Record router plane (with the depth control reversed as the shanks in the Veritas are longer).

Lie Nielsen, with adapter for small blades ...

Veritas (pre-current depth stop) along with fence ...

Regards from Munich

Derek

p.s. Sharpening router plane blades: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Woodwor...aneBlades.html

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    John, I am coming in a little late here.

First of all, be aware that I have close-ish affiliations with Veritas. Nevertheless, I try and tell it as it is. I have used both LN and Veritas router planes a lot, and my preference is for the Veritas. The LN is an excellent router plane, and at one time had a better depth stop system than the Veritas - which is one of two most-important features in my book. Later, Veritas updated their depth stop to a very similar system (I was one of a few pushing for this), and it is now as good as the LNs'.

The area where the LN falls out-of-contention is not in its design or how it is used - as I said before, this is an excellent router plane. The issue is the relative shortage in blade choice. The Veritas has a wide range of blade widths as well as accessories that may be used. The LN relies on the smaller blades for the Small Router, and then these need to be used with an adapter (which is not the most secure item in the world .. it drops out). I do wish LN would produce a similar selection of blades since this area becomes my constant comment, and I hate sounding off like this.

Another difference is in the fences of these two router planes. Keep in mind that LN followed the design of Stanley, which used a fence with limited travel. The Veritas fence is a purpose designed accessory. Fences are relevant for stringing along edges of tables, etc.

The second most important feature in a router plane (after the depth stop) is the blade adjustment system. This has been your criticism. The fact is that the Veritas has a fabulous system. It is spring-assisted, which means that some tension/pressure is kept on the blade/cutter when loosened. This keeps the blade in position. The LN does not have this system, and loosening off the blade reaches a critical degree, and the blade will move. Now, having stated that the Veritas system is great, there can be a problem with it. I have not experienced it myself, and I think that it is rare - I have only ever heard one person mention it (perhaps two - you may be the other!). This was Paul Sellers. He complained that he could not get enough tension to tighten down his blade, and then went and build a special spanner to tighten it beyond belief. Perhaps his fanboys loved this, but his method was OTT. He deleted my solution, which was this ...

... has within it a piston ...

The piston may stick, and if so will not compress or de-compress. If this happens, then the collar will not tighten enough. Solution? Clean it!

Bottom line, the Large Veritas is the best router plane available at present. I do like the LN, and if blade sizes are not important, I think all would be happy with one.

Regards from Munich

Derek
    Thank you for the thorough explanation. Now, I'm beginning to wonder if I was just unlucky with my first veritas router plane... you have me thinking maybe I should give it another try.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM Martin View Post
    Thank you for the thorough explanation. Now, I'm beginning to wonder if I was just unlucky with my first veritas router plane... you have me thinking maybe I should give it another try.
    Not much downside with this approach.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I have only ever heard one person mention it (perhaps two - you may be the other!). This was Paul Sellers. He complained that he could not get enough tension to tighten down his blade, and then went and build a special spanner to tighten it beyond belief. Perhaps his fanboys loved this, but his method was OTT. He deleted my solution, which was this ...

Derek; it wasn't deleted;

1. Derek Cohen on 16 January 2019 at 4:56 pm
      A very few LV router planes have had difficulty tightening down. There is an incredibly simple fix …
      Here is the collar and the knob that tightens the collar …
      https://i.postimg.cc/FH60HKRW/Router...psppx7gdt6.jpg
      At the other end of that knob is a piston. This is spring-loaded and pushes against the end of the collar to tighten it.
      https://i.postimg.cc/Jz0b8X1H/Router...psiha9zwvz.jpg
      If the piston gets gummed up, then it will not spring out. Just clean it. Done.

Regards from Perth, Australia
      Derek

https://paulsellers.com/2017/02/tigh...-router-plane/

Well, that's good to know, Stewie. It had disappeared when I looked for it. Did Paul reply?

Regards from Munich

Derek

I'm having the same experience with the LV it seems to loosen on my and loose its setting.

Is there a supposed to be a washer?

I also use a Stanley. Works fine. Unless you can find one cheap, for the difference in price I go with the LN.

Hi Robert

Take the collar off, look for the piston in my photo, clean it, re-assemble, and report back.

Regards from Munich

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Hi Robert

Take the collar off, look for the piston in my photo, clean it, re-assemble, and report back.

Regards from Munich

Derek
    I just did this and never really knew there was a spring there - I guess I never really knew how this thing worked. However, the piston on mine works fine. The problem I used to have is that I would set the depth, take a few passes, and then sometimes SOMETHING would happen and the depth would change a very small amount and/or it would feel loose. The cause is that there's just a tiny bit of slop side to side rotationally on the collar. I'm thinking this slop is required because without it I imagine that adjusting the blade might prove difficult. The slop is VERY minor, but it's enough that it would change the tension of that screw just enough to cause a problem. I don't recall who said it, but I'm pretty sure it was on this forum - when tightening down, just give it a little wiggle left to right at the same time. Ever since I started doing that I have never had a problem.

$32.50 + Sales Tax.....and a very wet walk to and from the Antique Mall, today....looks like I'll be have some work to do...
    Stanley Router Plane, the before 1.JPG
    Stanley 71-1/2....with a patent date of 10-29-01

Sole will need some work..
    Stanley Router Plane, the before 2.JPG
    Has a 1/2" cutter onboard. Plane will need a few parts, though..
    Stanley Router Plane, the before 3.JPG
    Depth adjuster wheel is MIA. Will need a pair of knobs, too. I have an Easy-out set, and will need a new/used thumbscrew. Then we'll see about the rest of the cutters...

More shopping to do...or trading....

I tore my LV down and didn't have any problems with the spring yet it would still loosen up. Now all I do is when adjusting, I push down the blade while tightening so that there is no potential slop in the adjuster. Mine would always loosen and cut deeper due to the way the blade wants to pull into the wood. Pushing down and tightening has worked great.

Yrs ago I had a nice original Stanley classic router plane, sold it due to lack of use and in need of $$...now I am in new house and retiring, wanting a small shop in part of garage, I really like hand work tools more then Loud dusty machines...Just ordered a LV router plane today after seeing comparisones to the LN on Youtube many times, Just got a LV Carcass saw delivered today..sweet )

Rebuild is about complete..
    Stanley Router Plane, rehab, test drive.JPG
    Waiting on the depth adjuster wheel to arrive....iron is sharp..
    Stanley Router Plane, rehab, new bolt.JPG
    Stanley No. 71-1/2....with the script logo.

May find a use for this plane, yet....