Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Router Plane in 2020

Which Router Plane in 2020

In the market for a router plane and have been looking at going with either a clean Stanley 71 or a new LN. I had the veritas but wasn't really happy with how it locked down so I sold it. Given these two options, which would you choose?

I had a vintage #71 and sold it. It was clunky and the depth adjustment was touchy. I like the LN but there are no options available for cutter widths. I bought the Veritas and have been very happy. Lots of cutter options and at least for me the cutter locks down tight. It works well. If you don’t care for the Veritas, try the Lie Nielsen. They may smarten up and offer other cutter widths some day.
    Last edited by Rob Luter; 01-09-2020 at 6:45 PM.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I had a Stanley and bought the LV. I much prefer the LV. I sold the Stanley. I never used the LN.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I’m a bit surprised you had a less than positive experience with the LV router plane. I have both their large and medium size. A good variety of cutter widths that fit both planes. I’ve had nothing but good experience with both...two of my favorite tools.

I have the Veritas one and like it a lot. My understanding is that all router planes are a little finicky staying completely locked down - there's just a lot of force on that shaft. I had trouble with the Veritas until I saw someone on here mention that when tightening it down give it one side to side jiggle in the process. Totally works and it's habit now; don't even realize I'm doing it. Ever since I've never had a problem with the depth of cut.

I, too, am surprised to see someone not liking the LV router plane. I have nothing but good things to say about mine—it sees a lot of use in my shop and has always performed well.

OP: what didn’t you like about how it locked down?

The trick I use is to lock it down and then back off the adjustment knob (as if lifting the cutter) until it “bottoms out.” The cutter depth has never shifted on me yet.

I’ve got the large and small LN closed throat router planes. As usual with LN, they are superb tools. When I need a smaller sized blade I use the small router. I have both the square tip and pointed tip blades, as well as the depth stop for the small router. As long as you use a screwdriver to tighten the screw that holds the blade they’re rock solid.

I love my 1892 – 1896 Type 4 No. 71. My brother-in-law gave it to me last year in astonishingly good shape, except that the iron was rusty, pitted, and chipped. I bought a replacement iron from Veritas, and their little holder to use with an Eclipse honing guide. It's mirror sharp and easy to keep that way.

I've since seen these on eBay, but they often want too much for them. I've seen some looking pretty good at around $50 – $60. I'd snap that up if I was in the market.

I've had no trouble with the iron staying fixed through a set of shavings. Mine lacks the fancy height adjustment wheel, so I just do it the old fashioned way: I place the iron's foot on the surface, then shim the body up (usually with a single sheet of paper), and tighten down, take away the paper, and then go at it.

So far I've used it only to fine-tune tenon cheeks, which start out very close to finished. The router plane gives delightful precision as I kiss up to final dimension.

This weekend my nephew and I are going to use it to true the bottom of the neck bed on the body of a guitar he and I are building. I'll get close to dimension with a plunge router and finish with the No. 71.

I suppose the contemporary ones are super nice, but mine works like a dream. Don't mean to gloat.

Blog Entries
    My Sargent #62 is pretty much the same as a Stanley #71. There is some backlash in the adjuster, but it works for me.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

This MIGHT be a project to do...sometime...
    coat rack.jpg
    May need some parts...
    close up.jpg
    Knobs and such...
    treasure wall.jpg
    A "treasure wall" at a local Antique Mall....
    whet stone.jpg
    Anyone want a wet stone?

My grandfather had a whetstone like that! I tell ya, if I was local I'd go buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bulatowicz View Post
    I, too, am surprised to see someone not liking the LV router plane. I have nothing but good things to say about mine—it sees a lot of use in my shop and has always performed well.

OP: what didn’t you like about how it locked down?
    It just didn't feel solid and secure to me... like there was slop or play. I should clarify that it wasn't anything that made the plane unusable by any means. It was more of an annoyance than anything else. It was my first router plane so I don't have anything else to compare it to. After reading the comments here, it seems "normal".

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM Martin View Post
    It just didn't feel solid and secure to me... like there was slop or play. I should clarify that it wasn't anything that made the plane unusable by any means. It was more of an annoyance than anything else. It was my first router plane so I don't have anything else to compare it to. After reading the comments here, it seems "normal".
    I don't recall any of the router planes I've used not having some backlash in the adjustment. I've never had a LV, but the LNs and Stanleys I've used do. It'd be pretty difficult to engineer it out, given the adjustment method. FWIW, between the LN and the Stanley, I'm pretty happy with either. After all the LN is a clone.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM Martin View Post
    I can see how you might have that perception with the holding collar being spring loaded. I snug the collar up a bit prior to making a final depth adjustment so I'm sure everything seats properly. Once I'm where I want to be I lock it down the last 1/4 turn.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.