Thread: Goodell Manufacturing mitre box All Steel

Goodell Manufacturing mitre box All Steel

Picked a new toy for 35 bucks and it came with a saw.

Goodell Manufacturing mitre box All Steel.

I'm looking for specs for the bearings that the saw spine slide on. I need an original or possibly really good pictures on one I can get copied. I thought I would ask around and see what I could find.

I can't find a model number, it measures 19 1/2 across the top. Depth is 4 1/2 And the back wall is just under 3 and 1/2 I think. Does this tell any of you experts a model number? I also need the missing accessory but I think I found the correct specs to make another here on this site.

You can see a sticker on the back and there is a patent date on the top of the rods. Goodell manufacturing co. Feb 9 1904.

The saw has a Goodell etching and the teeth measure 26 inches. Do you add 2 for overall length? From bottom of spine to the teeth is 5 inches.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If the spline rattles, a little JB Weld might take up some slack.

Spare parts on these (likely interchangeable with Millers Falls versions) cost more than you paid for the complete miter box.

Make sure to give the saw enough set to clear the kerf.

I picked up the same miter box last summer, similar price, and the saw was still sharp.

In my accumulation of miter boxes (18+), I have another partial, with some spare parts.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Are you sure that your miter box uses roller saw guides? Judging from the pictures, it doesn't look like it.
    I have a Goodell miter box, and it doesn't use them.
    The miter box will still work well without them. Not all miter boxes have them.
    Rick

I got a hold of the guy who runs this site https://langdonmitreboxes.wordpress.com/

Also talked to a guy who likes to restore miter boxes. Both said this one was too early to have bearings. One said bearings weren't used until the 30s.

Anyone here computer savvy? The original sticker is flaking and very brittle. I've taken a lot of pictures and measurements in hopes of printing a new one.

Got it all cleaned up. Took it all apart, every little piece, and got all the rust, crud and old paint off. Polished up the moving parts, gave the rest a shot of paint and this thing works amazingly. I thought it was OK before but it is an awesome new "toy" now.

To sharpen up the miter saw... should I sharpen it up the same as a crosscut saw? I'm still very new to sharpening, I bought a roll of Bahco files and I just mounted my saw vise.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    To sharpen up the miter saw... should I sharpen it up the same as a crosscut saw?
    That is a question with no right answer.

Some would suggest crosscut, others would suggest rip. A crosscut filing will likely produce a smoother cut at the same ppi.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I filed mine RIP with a heavy set.

I score the desired line and cut on the waste side.
    Most square crosscuts fit that way.

Moldings and compound angles require touch-up at the shoot board.

Mine are 11ppi Disston No.4 mitre box saws....filed crosscut....haven't needed a shooting board...for cross cuts, or miter cuts.

BTW..
    Mitre saw handle, stained.JPG
    Is a 5 x 28" Disston No. 4, made expressly for the Goodell Pratt & Co. Mitre box. I had to repair the handle, otherwise was merely a clean-up job..
    miter saw handle, plate cleaned.JPG
    Plate was the easiest part..
    miter saw handle, broken handle.JPG
    Handle was a different story..
    miter saw handle...testing.JPG
    Then blend the add-on to match, and refinish it..
    Disston backsaw. messy.JPG
    What it looked like when I brought it home.....for $1...