Thread: TC Crosslinker best use suggestions

TC Crosslinker best use suggestions

Wanted to ask for input on what people have seen is a best use scenario for adding TC CL100 crosslinker to their products.
    Instructions were for 2-5% for total volume. Stirring while adding. Mix 2-4 hours before use.

Can anyone offer what they have seen as the ideal setup for use? With TC 9300? more exact percentage than 2-5, stirring speed, sitting time and how long it lasts before having to dump and mix another batch?

I have an old food mixer I acquired, single beater at low speed seems like a decent setup for gently mixing something like this.

This project is going to be for a kitchen table re-finish, nice thick oak. have a little one addition to the family and I'm foreseeing the kitchen table being destruction central for whatever he might be able to bang or smash on it as he grows up.

Thanks

The cross linker will work with all of the Target Coatings water borne finishes, clear or tinted. It increases the durability including chemical resistance. You should still choose which finishing product is best for your particular project based on that project's expectations for a finish. There is no "ideal" for every situation. Normally, these finishes don't have a particular "pot life" when used "out of the can". But when you add the cross linker, you are modifying the way the finish cures and it places a limit on how long you can expect to keep it in the gun before completing your spraying or abandoning that batch. Target's web site currently stated that with a properly sealed, container with no oxygen infiltration, the pot life is really long (like up to 100 hours) with the cross linker added. I personally would not be comfortable with that. I set my own limit to 8 hours when I use the cross linker and any finish remaining at that point in the gun is discarded. There is no need to use a mixer to prepare your project. In fact, you should only stir it...any shaking or serious mixing can add undesirable air to the finish. (Never shake the can!)

For your kitchen table project, EM8000cV or the EM9300 would both be good choices and with the cross linker, they should hold up well to routine cleaning, etc. The latter adds UV protectant and is a polycarbonate urethane that's also rated for outdoor use.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Understood on the mixing. I was hoping with how slow the first setting is that it wouldn't be overkill for something like this. But I won't tempt it if a gentle stir is all that is needed.
    This table would be the only thing I would aim to use the 9300 + CL on for the increased durability.
    When you mix up some of the CL, do you usually take a certain volume and prep it in a mason jar or something of the sort? I have a lot of jars I haven't used for shellac yet, figured those would be perfect to mix up enough to do a bunch of coats on the table in a day.

Lastly, I don't have any 8000cv, but what would make you consider the 8000 over the 9300 for something like this? The table sits right next to a sliding door to the deck, but for the few hours in the summer where the sun is really beating down the UV protectant may or may not be really needed.

Jim,

I am using EM6500 on bed foot and head board. O sprayed two coats on the foot board and have decide to add cross link going forward. Do you think that will create a problem if I add a couple of coats with cross link over the non cross linked pigmented lacquer?

Thanks
    Jack

Patrick, you can mix the cross-linker in a separate container if you prefer. I just do it in the "disposable" cup of my 3M PPS equipped spray gun. The EM8000cv is a "conversion varnish" and very durable. Because of how it's formulated, it, like the EM2000, has a slightly warmer amber tint that's similar to oil based and some other finishes. The EM9300 is a polyester urethane which is also very durable. It's very clear. I often go for the "warming" effect that certain steps in a finishing regimen bring to the table (pardon the pun) so I've been pleased with the EM8000cv for that reason. I just haven't used the EM9300 yet on anything. Most of what I spray is EM6000/EM6500/EM7000hb.

Jack...no problem. I don't know how or if it will affect the burn in on previous coats of the EM6500, but I seriously doubt there will be anything to complain about. I've "mixed things up" (also pardon the pun) while spraying some guitar bodies with no ill effects. But you could always ask Target directly for their thoughts.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don’t have a disposable setup so temp containers are my go to for the time being.
    never have tried the other products you mentioned. suppose I’ll get there when I have a project that is best paired with one of those and I get a feel for it first hand.

on that note though, aside from the literature on TC’s website, is there any posting or article you know of that gives a bit of a rundown on the typical scenarios where each of their products is ideally used?