Thread: New to the breed with rookie questions

New to the breed with rookie questions

My past woodworking endevors have been refinishing, adding nice touches to kitchens, home building/carpentry, making from magazine plans, and finally just cutting wood until it looks like what I wanted.

Technique-wise I'm solid. Cut a fair number of dovetails, punched in a fair number of Dominos, tuned my bandsaw 'til it plays Mozart, my dust collection system makes my bench brush feel neglected, actually have started taking jigs apart and combining them to free up space.

I am trying to learn to design, plan, write cut lists, use templates. I am semi-repentant of past sins, but prone to relapse. So, if you were going to learn design and actually use the results, where would you start? I've looked at Sketchup, didn't like it much,done a lot of pencil and paper drafting in the past, tho I am a bit rusty.

I bought and am reading the Seth Stem book on design, Jim Tolpin's Measure Twice, old FWW articles. Right now, today, I am pondering how I would contruct a model, and whether you could actually use foamboard as a template on a router table instead of MDF.

Insights would be appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Are you looking for a cad program or a 3D modeling program?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Are you looking for a cad program or a 3D modeling program?
    Right now I am trying to stay completely away from software. Did a +40 year career there, will pick it up later. Of old the rule was "systemate before you automate" (the rule is not much followed in the modern era). So, I looking for methodologies, techniques for template building, conceptual. Lately I have been wandering around with a tape and calculator looking at proportions. Very little of modern life reflects the golden rectangle, fibonacci sequence by the way. Older stuff does much more frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by John Makar View Post
    ... Lately I have been wandering around with a tape and calculator looking at proportions. Very little of modern life reflects the golden rectangle, fibonacci sequence by the way. Older stuff does much more frequently.
    You might be interested in the books Jim Tolpin and George Walker wrote on design. First, chronologically, was "By Hand & Eye (supposed to be) more applied. The second, By Hound & Eye was a workbook / study book to learn to solve the geometry with compass & straight edge. Their latest From Truths to Tools tries to illustrate the theories behind the first two books.

Love Tolpin, will pick up on those. I highly recommend one of his recommendations: The Wheelwright's Shop by George Sturt.

Ha! Have you looked at the price on those two, even used?

Found Lost Art Press site, bought the pdf after recovering from sticker shock. Read a bit of Tolpin's part, and as usual he just (euphemistcally of course since he's probably beyond that now) nails it. This is exactly what I was looking for, for now.