Thread: Scaffold Leveling Screw for Shoulder Vise

Scaffold Leveling Screw for Shoulder Vise

Has any one installed a shoulder vise using a scaffold leveling screw? Would the threads be too fine? I know it's common to use this type of screw for leg vises. Thanks

They're pretty sloppy. The only thing I've used them for, other than the intended purpose, is leveling feet for a tractor splitting stand, and then I just borrow some from the scaffolding stack.

I’ve been thinking about this kind of project but I’ve got an old standard Wood Vise that I plan to disassemble and use.

I'm with tom. We have several sets. They are often so sloppy you knock them around with your foot or a hammer. Not my idea of a vise screw

They are just acme threaded rod, but not a close fit. This allows for them to work when filled with mug, or gobs of mortar. Acme threaded rod isn't that expensive.

I bought a four foot length of stainless steel Acme 2"-4 off of ebay pretty cheap, several years ago. I've been too busy to do anything with it. Intentions were for vise screws. I also picked up the same size tap, new. No one bid against me on either.

You can buy Acme threaded rod, nuts, taps, etc. from industrial supply houses like Grainger, WT Tool, Johnstone Supply, Industrial Supply Solutions, McMaster Supply, etc. in most any size that you would need. Trying to adapt a likely worn out scaffold leveler to your project seems like a futile waste. Check the sources for what you need before proceeding. You may find new and exactly what you need quite reasonably.

Charley

I think Jay Bates has a you tube about doing this. But a Yost threaded rod and nut for a leg vise is pretty inexpensive. Here's a link:
    https://www.amazon.com/Yost-Tools-Y1...786469&sr=8-14

Here's the Acme 2"-4 stainless rod 4' + feet long, and the tap I bought off of ebay. I forget what I paid for them, but it wasn't much. No one bid against me. They're both new, never used. I have some blocks of Delrin, and oil filled nylon that I am going to try tapping for the nuts, but in the meantime, picked up some Acme steel nuts too.
    Attached Images Attached Images