Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stanley 50 alternative fence?

Stanley 50 alternative fence?

I just picked up a Stanley 50 combination plane on the auction site for plowing grooves. It’s my first plane of this type and it certainly has a learning curve.

Anyway it seems to me that it would benefit from a larger fence. It’s very tippy when ploughing narrow grooves with only one skate. Unfortunately Stanley didn’t drill any holes for an auxiliary fence as they did on other planes. Before I go and modify my new plane, I thought I’d see if the fence from some other plane might fit on it. I don’t know if the rods are a standard size and spacing to make this possible.

The rods on my 50 are 3” apart on center and 25/64” in diameter according to my calipers. Could someone with a larger collection of planes measure theirs and tell me if some other fence would fit?

Of course any other advice that prevents me from having to drill and tap this plane is also welcome.

Thanks!

Matt,

I have been restoring an old Stanley 46 Combination Plane, and as such it is inside and close to my desk, so measuring it was a quick and easy thing due to quick access.

Unfortunately, the rods seem to be on 3&1/2" centers. I did not make any effort to do a careful measurement, because it was clear that the #46 fence would not work for your purpose.

If you don't get other answers by the end of the day, I will try to get measurements on an other plane or two, but they are not as handy to get at.

Stew

Blog Entries
    Stanley made their combination/multi planes with different rod spacing. Some feel this was done so owners couldn't mix and match parts to get the benefits of one plane on another. Just imagine if the adjustable skate of the #55 could be used on the #45. It could have cut into sales.

There are a few fences listed on ebay, some at ridiculous prices. A second fence would allow you to drill some holes and add an extension.

Otherwise take some time to practice using the fence as it is.

One trick seen on the internet is to set a dowel, 5 or 6", into the depth stop holder. This will help to see when the plane is tipping. After a while the dowel can be removed.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Stanley made their combination/multi planes with different rod spacing. Some feel this was done so owners couldn't mix and match parts to get the benefits of one plane on another. Just imagine if the adjustable skate of the #55 could be used on the #45. It could have cut into sales.

There are a few fences listed on ebay, some at ridiculous prices. A second fence would allow you to drill some holes and add an extension.

Otherwise take some time to practice using the fence as it is.

One trick seen on the internet is to set a dowel, 5 or 6", into the depth stop holder. This will help to see when the plane is tipping. After a while the dowel can be removed.

jtk
    Thanks for the quick turnaround Stew.

Jim, that sounds just like something that Stanley would do. Thanks for the info.

I’ll tryout that dowel trick. It sounds like it would help me.

Blog Entries
    I’ll tryout that dowel trick. It sounds like it would help me.
    It is kind of like training wheels. You may want to put a small piece of scrap on the top of the dowel to keep from poking yourself.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Wondering IF the cam rest from the 45 would be of help.....allow one of the long rods to stick through to the right side of the plane, and add the rest....could even swing it all the way "down" to rub either on the work, or alongside the work....

i use the cam rest on my 45...when there is a lot of space between the fence and the cutter....skate works with the cam rest to keep the plane from tipping.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Wondering IF the cam rest from the 45 would be of help.....allow one of the long rods to stick through to the right side of the plane, and add the rest....could even swing it all the way "down" to rub either on the work, or alongside the work....

i use the cam rest on my 45...when there is a lot of space between the fence and the cutter....skate works with the cam rest to keep the plane from tipping.
    on my 50 the rods just screw in and do not come out the other side. Not shere if all the 50s are like that.

Matthew, it is not like the #50 is so precious that future historians and museums will curse your name, and you will suffer from a smelly foot fungus for the rest if your life.

Just drill the existing fence and add a subfence. That is the quickest and best modification you can do.

Regards from Perth

Deek

Matt,

The spacing of the rods on my Stanley 45 is 3&7/8." The spacing of the rods on my Stanley 55 is 4&1/2."

Again, not measured with extreme care as with a caliper, just by eye with a combination square, and not in very good light.

Thus, no luck on the spacing on any of my Stanley combination planes.

Stew

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Matt,

The spacing of the rods on my Stanley 45 is 3&7/8." The spacing of the rods on my Stanley 55 is 4&1/2."

Again, not measured with extreme care as with a caliper, just by eye with a combination square, and not in very good light.

Thus, no luck on the spacing on any of my Stanley combination planes.

Stew
    Thanks for digging in Stew. It appears Stanley wants me to buy all of these planes. I’m going to resist for now.

Quote Originally Posted by justin sherriff View Post
    on my 50 the rods just screw in and do not come out the other side. Not shere if all the 50s are like that.
    Yeah, same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Matthew, it is not like the #50 is so precious that future historians and museums will curse your name, and you will suffer from a smelly foot fungus for the rest if your life.

Just drill the existing fence and add a subfence. That is the quickest and best modification you can do.

Regards from Perth

Deek
    I’m more worried that I’m going to mess up my new plane before I get a chance to use it. I tossed off the fact that the fence could be drilled and tapped rather casually, but I’ve never actually done it.

Try a piece of 1/2" plywood drilled square and slipped onto the rods inside the fence sized to hang an inch or 2 below the fence.

The fence from a Record 50 will fit a Stanley 50 and is all ready drilled

Or get a Record 50 which some see as a better plane

Just drill the 50's fence, no need to tap it. Fasten a wood fence extension on with screws (small ones). I did this with my 78 rabbet plane and glad I did. That is the way the fence extension is fastened on my 45.