Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you lubricate your sliding table saw ways with?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    Interesting, meanwhile in the k700 manual it explicitly states something like “warning risk of material damage, do not grease or oil the guides”..
    I think the devil is in the fine print, Mark. Technically, “yes”, we don’t want to see greases (especially!) or oils but my understanding is that the Ballsitol stuff (haven’t used it yet, personally) is more of a cleaner/thin-film type thing that doesn’t leave any residue. Maybe like a high-end WD-40? Just thinking out loud.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Attachment 423282

Mark, that was then, this is now

Here's the addendum to the operators manual...........Rod.
    Rod, do you work for Felder Canada? Just curious. That’s an internal document.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I was thinking bioshield if anything

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    I think the devil is in the fine print, Mark. Technically, “yes”, we don’t want to see greases (especially!) or oils but my understanding is that the Ballsitol stuff (haven’t used it yet, personally) is more of a cleaner/thin-film type thing that doesn’t leave any residue. Maybe like a high-end WD-40? Just thinking out loud.

Erik

Yes I do.

It’s an addendum to the owners manual and as you noticed we now carry the product...Rod

I think it was late December...Rod

Well I learned something new today,thanks Rod.

So, I went back and looked over that TSB. It is specifically in reference to X-roll machines that have the remote start on the slider. Not Hammers or X-rolls with start switches only on the chassis. On the X-rolls with remote start, they use the table>bearings>guideways>base rail>chassis connection as the ground circuit. Apparently, there were some incidents where enough crud built up on the guideways that it was created a bad ground. To me, this is a function of inadequate dust extraction plus lack of regular maintenance but I've also been in enough pro shops to be completely un-surprised by anything. However, I've never had it happen to one of my customers and never even heard about it coming up as an issue among any of the US service techs. Personally, I think it's a good idea to wipe the guideways down anyhow, but there's your official explanation.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Yes, I've been lubricating my Hammer for about 10 years, no issues, makes the table much nicer to use.

All X roll tables now get the lubrication at the factory, if you clean your table with a cleaning agent you may remove it......Rod.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 01-10-2020 at 11:49 AM.

Now this is sounding more familiar, i have the xroll with the on/off on the end, I was told that there were a very few issues in the field in production shops using a lot of mdf where this occurred. I also faintly remember something like that the original design is not what is shipping to the US due to some sort of regulation/s in the US market so a modification had to be made and they are working on a solution if/even ever there is an issue.I have had no issues with the switch and as a matter of fact it is one of the only things that is working 100% on this saw at the moment.

I was also told not to use a blow gun at full force to remove dust from the rails, i think because it has the potential to force dust into the bearing cage.

One more thing - being an old time user of sliders in my 20’s (well I am 52 so not too old ) I was not sold on adding the end of slide on/off switch all I can say is totally worth it, It’s not used often but when it is glad it’s there...

mkessler10@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    So, I went back and looked over that TSB. It is specifically in reference to X-roll machines that have the remote start on the slider. Not Hammers or X-rolls with start switches only on the chassis. On the X-rolls with remote start, they use the table>bearings>guideways>base rail>chassis connection as the ground circuit. Apparently, there were some incidents where enough crud built up on the guideways that it was created a bad ground. To me, this is a function of inadequate dust extraction plus lack of regular maintenance but I've also been in enough pro shops to be completely un-surprised by anything. However, I've never had it happen to one of my customers and never even heard about it coming up as an issue among any of the US service techs. Personally, I think it's a good idea to wipe the guideways down anyhow, but there's your official explanation.

Erik

Huh, interesting. Thanks for the feedback everyone. My slider is probably considered "subpar" compared to everyone else's here haha. I have a Grizzly G0623x short stroke. I do love it though, so I try to take care of it. The manual says to "wipe down the slide ways with a light machine oil", so I've just been spraying a light coat in the ways after each time I clean them out. Even if nobody else does it, I figure it can't hurt, and practical sense tells me to lubricate anything that slides, even just lightly.

Whether it benefits anything or not, at least I'll know I tried to take good care of it ha!