Thread: Cheap Mora knife

Cheap Mora knife

I learned about Mora knives on YouTube. I looked around and read good things. So i splurged and spent $14 on a stainless basic 546. It feels solid for cheap plastic and it came out of the box sharp enough to shave my arm.
    I'm thinking about getting an Opinel no. 8 next

I bought my Opinel #8 in France 30-40 years ago and you inspired me to pull it out of the drawer to look at it. I really like the Opinel knives but I also like some of the more modern ones and the Opinels (I have several) don't get used much. My #8 will lock the blade open and also closed, which I believe not all the smaller ones will do. It's nice to have it not open in your pocket.

I first saw these knives when I was living on my boat and a little farther down the dock was an older French couple. He used Opinels as paring knives and table knives, washing them up after meals. They're great knives.

I didn't know Opinel was a renowned brand of knives! I bought one last year and saw many others, cheap, at Harry Epstein's hardware store here in Kansas City. Its a creaky old-fashioned hardware store right in downtown KC. They deal in salvage and surplus tools. Check out their website: https://www.harryepstein.com/catalog...sult/?q=opinel

Of course I cant find the knife now, which is why I usually avoid expensive knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I didn't know Opinel was a renowned brand of knives! I bought one last year and saw many others, cheap, at Harry Epstein's hardware store here in Kansas City. Its a creaky old-fashioned hardware store right in downtown KC. They deal in salvage and surplus tools. Check out their website: https://www.harryepstein.com/catalog...sult/?q=opinel

Of course I cant find the knife now, which is why I usually avoid expensive knives.
    Harry Epstein!?
    I will put that on my list of things tho do when i visit KC

I'm no knife aficionado by any stretch, so I don't know what a cheap 'Mora' knife is. A quick google showed a few pics...

But by accident a coupla weeks ago I DID come across a CHEAP knife that works-
    ck.jpg
    On the rack at Dollar Tree... yeah it may be cheap Stainless but the blade isn't flimsy like those old Ginsu knives, the blade and handle are tight, the handle feels nice in my hand, and as of now it's still extremely sharp. It goes thru raw potatoes better than any other knife I have, and it took the tip of my finger off without any trouble! (just a small piece )

Best dollar I ever spent. If I find later on that I can't sharpen it back up to suit me, I'll just chuck it and get another one. I hit Dollar Tree about 3 times a week
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle