Thread: Bevel Gauge Anyone?

Blog Entries

Bevel Gauge Anyone?

While perusing the internet today, this came up on my screen > https://toolsforworkingwood.com/stor...he+bevel+gauge <.

How many have or use a bevel gauge?

Mine is used often on chisel because of my not remembering to what angle all the different bevels my chisels have been ground.

These are available either in a 1/16" thick brass or a 0.015" annealed stainless steel. With cut outs from 10º to 45º with 2-1/2º increments.

My gauge from Lee Valley seems to be good enough for me, but these do seem awful tempting.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 01-08-2020 at 5:06 PM. Reason: wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim, there is a similar bevel gauge on the Tormek angle gauge. I think that I may also have a brass one somewhere ... it is difficult to judge accuracy ... therefore not useful.

Regards from Berlin

Derek

I've never actually used the one that came with my Tormek, if I'm reestablishing a bevel, I know what I want it to be. If I'm honing, I either know what it is.. or I can just match the original tool.

So, a very honest question. Am I missing something?

I have one of those, but never liked it much. The one I use the most, and have for decades, is similar to this one. I shortened the long arm on it, so it wouldn't hit any chisel handle. It's actually quicker to use than the one where you have to hunt for the right slot.
    https://www.generaltools.com/hand-to...eel-protractor

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I have one of those, but never liked it much. The one I use the most, and have for decades, is similar to this one. I shortened the long arm on it, so it wouldn't hit any chisel handle. It's actually quicker to use than the one where you have to hunt for the right slot.
    https://www.generaltools.com/hand-to...eel-protractor
    When I need one, I use one like this. It works well for setting the tool rest on my grinder too.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I've never actually used the one that came with my Tormek, if I'm reestablishing a bevel, I know what I want it to be. If I'm honing, I either know what it is.. or I can just match the original tool.

So, a very honest question. Am I missing something?
    Everyone does things in different ways.

For some of us picking up odd tools wherever rust is found, it is helpful to have a way to gauge the unknown bevels.

For others having tools where all the bevel angles are known with little variation, such a gauge may not be of any help.

For me, the Woodpecker device is quite tempting with its ability to measure in between the set angles of a gauge. It would even be useful for gauging wedges.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Everyone does things in different ways.

For some of us picking up odd tools wherever rust is found, it is helpful to have a way to gauge the unknown bevels.

For others having tools where all the bevel angles are known with little variation, such a gauge may not be of any help.

For me, the Woodpecker device is quite tempting with its ability to measure in between the set angles of a gauge. It would even be useful for gauging wedges.

jtk
    Yep, that's why I asked. I pretty much work the way I was either taught, to decided worked better for me. Which is exactly why I asked

For those used tools, typically I end up regrinding anyway... Then again, I also pretty much hate measuring in a shop, or on a job site. It just tends to induce errors.

I use the protractor head on my Starrett 12” combination square. Works perfectly.

Those gauges are useful for the primary bevel but nit minuscule secondary bevels.

I have that exact gauge. Never use it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I also use the General Tools digital protractor, easier to use, and easier to read the angle vs. tiny lines. and its dirt cheap at $15... I tried all the ones show in the thread, and a few others, the digital protractor is the best of the bunch.... and the cheapest, how often does that happen?

I have the General protractor that Tom King linked to. I also have the Veritas bevel gauge that Jim referred to. I use them when resetting the primary bevel angle of a tool on my grinder.

For me, the General doesnt work well at low angles because I cant insert the full (hollow ground) bevel into the gap/opening between the jaws. (If there's a technique Im missing, Id sure appreciate a picture demonstrating it.) So for low angles, I use the Veritas.

The Grammercy wasnt available yet or I'd have bought it instead of the Veritas - I may still. FWIW, that Woodpeckers protractor might be the very first "one time tool" that I'd actually purchase - maybe it will come around for sale again like they sometimes do.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 01-18-2020 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Clarified
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

WP made that tool for WCraft, under their Pinnacle brand and sold it for years, I had one. If you try to read the primary bevel, it works...but reading the secondary bevel is very iffy. Its hard to align the arm onto the secondary bevel flush. then, the scales to read are very small, hard to read the difference between degrees, which defeats the purpose. While the General Inst. dig. protractor is a bit flimsy and finiky, it still works better than the other alternatives

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I have the General protractor that Tom King linked to. I also have the Veritas bevel gauge that Jim referred to. I use them when resetting the primary bevel angle of a tool on my grinder.

For me, the General doesnt work well at low angles because I cant insert the full (hollow ground) bevel into the gap/opening between the jaws. (If there's a technique Im missing, Id sure appreciate a picture demonstrating it.) So for low angles, I use the Veritas.

The Grammercy wasnt available yet or I'd have bought it instead of the Veritas - I may still. FWIW, that Woodpeckers protractor might be the very first "one time tool" that I'd actually purchase - maybe it will come around for sale again like they sometimes do.
    I modified mine some kind of way. I was thinking I cut the long arm, but maybe something else too. I've used it for decades, so it's been so long ago that I modified it, that I don't remember the details. I can measure any angle I use with it, and the sharpest is 18 degrees for a paring chisel to trim window glazing.

It's been several years since I used it anyway. Since these are sitting out on my sharpening sink, these are all I've used since I made them, although I have a few more now since I took these pictures the morning I stuck these together. Picture with iron is one is when a friend on another woodworking forums sent me an A2 plane iron to figure how why he couldn't get it to hold an edge, and picture of shaving is after I changed it to a steeper angle, and sharpened it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 01-18-2020 at 1:11 PM.