Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on choosing a bandsaw

Need advice on choosing a bandsaw

I'm wavering between two Grizzly band saws, and since this is my first band saw, I need some wisdom on the pros and cons of each. I plan to do both resawing and curves.

One is a 17" and the other a 14". Most of you might say that's all you need to know and to go with the 17", but let me list a few things I've read around here that are good advantages. I'll list the main differences, and skip the things that are close enough that I don't care.

Both are 2 horsepower.

G0513ANV

• $1,075
    • 17"
    • Euro rollers
    • NO resaw fence included
    • Steel trunnion
    • Aluminum wheels
    • Blade speeds 1700 or 3500 rpm
    • Blade width range 1/8" to 1"
    • Max resaw height 12 1/8"

G0457

• $1,150
    • 14"
    • Ball bearing rollers
    • Resaw fence included
    • Cast Iron trunnion
    • Cast Iron wheels
    • Blade speed 3000 rpm
    • Blade width range 1/8" to 3/4"
    • Max resaw height 10"

I'm pissed I waited on the 17" model because a few days ago it was $100 less and included a $50 gift card. Now that the prices are close on these models, I'm wondering if the better parts on the 14" outweigh the fact that it's a 14". The motors are the same.

Or if you know of another brand/model that is equivalently spec'd for cheaper, I'm all ears! Thanks for any help.

The cast iron wheels are a BIG plus for me.
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    The cast iron wheels are a BIG plus for me.
    Is it mostly the weight? And I think I read they somehow allow you to get more tension on the blade for resawing. Is that true?

I don't think I've read a bad thing about that 17" model. What is it that makes bigger=better generally for band saws... weight and momentum?

Ability to tension a wider blade.

I would look a little further up Grizzly's food chain. The 513 series saws with cast iron wheels and a foot brake would be much more saw. I realize this is higher than your budget however it will be a saw that you will not need to upgrade unless you start cutting up logs for lumber.

I vote 'none of the above" the G513x2 is your saw. Another $75, but really is the best of everything you a looking for. The only thing you are missing with it is a Brake.

If you buy the 14" you will regret it twice, the first time when you you realized you should have gotten a 17", and the second time when you try selling a used 14" saw, and you find out 14" saws depreciate way faster than the larger BSs.

Ps. I did the buy a 14" saw, sell for next to nothing and then bought the original G513x and have had it for over a decade and no plan to change
    Last edited by jeff norris 2011; 01-08-2020 at 11:00 PM.

The problem with Grizzly is that there are so many models it is easy to upsell yourself in small increments. Look at how much more I get for just this small increase in price. Do that a couple of times and you're way outside of your initial budget.

With that said, I would save up to get the 513x2. I think it is a worthy upgrade

My theory is look at that things you cannot change. You an always add the resaw fence and the cast iron wheels to the 17" You can't ad the resaw height, throat depth, blade width to the 14". I didn't check the prices but if the G0513X2 is only $75 more then the G0513ANV then that is the way to go. I had the G0513X2 and it was a great saw. I only got rid of it because I wanted more resaw height.

There is not much to wear out on a bandsaw. As long as the trunnions are not broken a used saw will be about 50% or less of new. This money can be used to upgrade the guides and install new tires or bearings if needed.
    I would rather have a 50 year old USA motor then a new china made one. Grizzly motors are not known for longevity.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    The problem with Grizzly is that there are so many models it is easy to upsell yourself in small increments. Look at how much more I get for just this small increase in price. Do that a couple of times and you're way outside of your initial budget.
    Haha, so true. I bumped up a couple models on their jointer also.

Great points all, the G0513x2 seems to be ideal. I appreciate y'alls help!

If it makes you feel any better I started off at about the same place as you. I ended up well above my initial budget after getting the G0514X2. It's easy to do and as you go up in price you have to decide if the extra features vs cost make sense to you. For me I like to try and future proof my purchases. Also if there's an opinion I know I will want I look into the cost of adding down the road. For example a number of the Grizzly planers the price difference between straight blades and carbide insert heads are not that much different than adding it after the fact once you figure in the replacement carbide cost. For me I wanted the rack and pinion table adjuster on the G0514 to have extra support while cutting up heavy bowl blanks.

One thing I didn't really care about was a foot brake. Yet now that I have it I find it very useful. It has a switch so it shuts the saw off. If I'm working with something heavy I don't have to set it down to shut the saw off. The 19" saw will keep turning for quite some time after turning it off and I would expect that the 17" will also take some time to come to a stop. Of course the brake allows you to stop it very quickly (you could feed a scrap piece of wood into the blade to do the same thing). It's not something that can be added after so I would think about if it would be worth it to you. It's going to cost $200 more than the 513x2 though.

The electronic braking isn't something that I would pay extra for. I've never seen a Grizzly with the steel trunnion but the cast iron does seam like it is an upgrade. Probably more so if you adjust the table to make angled cuts. I do like the extra weight of the X2. It makes the saw feel more solid IMO. At the end of the day you have to make the choice, is a couple hundred saved really that much money over the lift of a tool? I bought my 514 with the idea that it could be the last bandsaw I buy. That helped me go over my initial budget. Of course the prices have gone up some and they gave me a 10% off coupon. If you can wait I would expect Grizzly to offer some sort of deal to spur sales.

There are better saws than grizzly in that price range.

Such as what ?

Quote Originally Posted by William Chain View Post
    There are better saws than grizzly in that price range.
    Don't leave us hanging.

The cast iron wheels really help with resawing because they keep the momentum going without taxing the motor. I have the X2. It's a nice saw. Resaws with ease. I also have a 14" Buffalo that I've tuned up and is running nicely with thin blades but am looking to replace it with another 17" for the wider cutting throat..