Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone do a Beaded Face frame Cabinet

Blog Entries

Anyone do a Beaded Face frame Cabinet

I'm wanting to do kitchen cabinets with a beaded face frame and inset doors/drawers.

Anyone have experience beading a face frame?
    Did you bead the face frame or glue in the beading after face frame was assembled?

I see Kreg has router bits for beading face frame and a $399 fence system for doing them.
    Anyone use the Kreg expensive fence system. I do not plan on using the fence system unless I see very positive feedback for it.

All the Best
    Curt

I have only done a couple jobs (thankfully) as we are not setup to do them profitably. Router table and set of bits. Its persnickety and slow but unless you have a hoffman or some other dedicated notcher it is what it is.

Blog Entries
    Yep. A simple jig will get you the same as the kreg fence. Or with a slight rethinking a rather effective "machine" for not much $.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....e-notching-jig

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....e-notching-jig

For a single kitchen I'd likely just do an applied bead though. Integral with the kreg bits requires the stock to be sized to a couple thousands in width to be a single pass no issue affair. Otherwise it's a gap filled mess, requiring lots of tweaking to each joint.
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 01-08-2020 at 11:23 AM.

Back in the early 2000s these were really all the rage in kitchens. The way I always did them was to work all my parts through a system of notching cuts on the table saw. No special bits or fences. Just a dado set and a stack of cut to length and carefully marked beaded stock. The key is super detailed planning and marking so that no setup needs to be repeated.

Any beading I've done has been applied and in general, I put it on the drawers/doors rather than the rails and stiles, but that technique isn't all that different than the opposite. If I were a production shop, I'd want a more formal way of doing this kind of work if there was a call for it, but since I'm not, it's all been one-off and manually done.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Any beading I've done has been applied and in general, I put it on the drawers/doors rather than the rails and stiles, but that technique isn't all that different than the opposite. If I were a production shop, I'd want a more formal way of doing this kind of work if there was a call for it, but since I'm not, it's all been one-off and manually done.
    Jim,

Ive seen beading on doors and drawers using mitered corners in a couple kitchen centers.
    Have you done applied/glued-on kitchen cabinets like this. What size bead did ya use?

Blog Entries
    I'm not Jim, but a .250" bead with a 1/16" quirk (.312" total) is correct for cabinets imho.

Mitered doors with beading are made with beaded stock. That's why they're mitered, it makes it super easy. They're considered a little low brow amongst wood snobs. Presumably because of the weakness of a miter joint. Those I do with a Domino at the corner. The nice thing is that this technique allows virtually any profile to be used.

I have the Kreg system. It was used to build a complete, large kitchen where SWMBO said, "Beaded!".

It made the large scale production of the face frames very easy and precise. I haven't touched it since. PM me if interested in one.

I considered the Kreg jig years back, but ended up doing an applied beading. If this a one-job experience, I would do applied.

I have done kitchens and other types of cabinetry both ways. The Kreg Beading system makes it a snap in planning and ease of use.
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC

Blog Entries
    As an aside, the kreg bits are sized for a 3/16 bead and 1/16 quirk for a 1/4 overall width. Deviating from those dimensions results in a different minimum width of face frame parts.

When I used the Kreg, I made the rails and stiles extra wide and screwed them together, ran them edgewise through the planer to make them identical and did the notches together and cut to width. Not terribly efficient but made the doors uniform. If I did a lot I'd make jigs but for a one off, didn't bother. Dave

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    I have the Kreg system. It was used to build a complete, large kitchen where SWMBO said, "Beaded!".

It made the large scale production of the face frames very easy and precise. I haven't touched it since. PM me if interested in one.
    What is SWMBO?

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Myers View Post
    What is SWMBO?
    She Who Must Be Obeyed... forum slang for wife, ball and chain, happy wife happy life..