Thread: bookcase wall shelf design ideas

bookcase wall shelf design ideas

I have been thinking of making the mission style that is now called a ladder bookcase. Kind of like this with no back. See pic below. Solid sides open shelves stands on the floor. I have a specific place where I have room on an open wall. Problem is in our house it sits to the side of a high backed chair and anything I put on the bottom two rows or so would not be visible except from certain angles. I thought about just a wall shelf, but not sure I can put deeper shelves on this to hold larger heavier things. Stuck in limbo on ideas. Whatever I would do I would turn it into a mission/Craftsman style design. This goes with the home decor.

Appreciate any ideas.

Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

The case need not be completely visible from all angles to be appealing, IMHO.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    The case need not be completely visible from all angles to be appealing, IMHO.

Not for the shelf itself, but to be able to see the stuff on it I thought I would try something, but not sure what. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    You could make the shelf look like an old wooden step ladder or step stool hanging on the wall. Use a french cleat to support it on the wall. Something along the lines of this.
    antique-step-stool.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

[QUOTE=Lee Schierer;2980765]You could make the shelf look like an old wooden step ladder or step stool hanging on the wall. Use a french cleat to support it on the wall. Something along the lines of this.
    antique-step-stool.jpg[/QUOT

Lee, thanks, great suggestion. Brian

I would put looks over access to books. Few libraries have quick access to all books.

I really like it as pictured, especially the dark finish.

Plan what you will put on it and size the shelves for that. If you just make all the same height you will run out of room sooner.

Make the bottom shelves bigger and deeper for photo albums, the top ones shorter and shallow for paperbacks etc.

Putting a back on it may be better.

With something that tall and narrow, and if you have hard floors, you will have issues with unflat floors. The easiest solution is to slip a wedge under one of the back legs. Adjustable back feet would also work.