Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solid Oak Router Table Cabinet Build

Solid Oak Router Table Cabinet Build

Hi guys,

Wasn't sure whether this belonged in this forum so please let me know if it's a better fit elsewhere.

I wanted to document my router table build so far. I started last week and am part-way done at the moment. I just finished a fight between one of my fingers and a 12mm straight bit in a hand-held router so am out of commission for a week or so (I hope!) and so figured this is the next best thing to actually building. Typing one handed is no fun though!!

I needed a router table. Bought some Jessem bits and pieces and a cast iron top. But I decided to knock up a base for it myself.

Design brief was - sturdy and simple with some storage and dust collection.

I decided to build it from construction grade Tassie Oak since it's easy to get a hold of (Melbourne Australia) and cheap compared with other solid timber options. The downside is to get nice clean timbers you need to be very picky and sort through a lot of timber haha.

After drawing a quick front-view sketch to capture the critical dimensions I was off breaking down stock and milling, beginning with the primary components.

20191229_102829.jpg
    Attachment 466727

I decided to go with traditional mortise and tenon joinery for the primary structure. While far from experienced in the few projects I've made I find I like to start with mortises.

20191230_091106 (2).jpg

Then I generally cut the tenons slightly oversize (width) on the bandsaw and plane them to the correct offset and thickness using my LN Jack Rebate plane. I typically cut the haunches with a hand saw and shoulders either with a hand-saw and chisel to the line or on the table-saw. I went with table saw this time, but still had to chisel to the line for many.
    20191230_192704 (2).jpg
    Attachment 466730

20200101_100216 (2).jpg

Close up of tenons after final paring.

20200101_100235 (2).jpg
    Attachment 466731
    Attachment 466732
    More to follow shortly.

Cheers, Dom

After the joinery was cut I did a quick dry fit. To my surprise and delight it all went together nice and tight and it was all bang-on square in every axis! Seems that paying close attention to hitting precise layout lines pays dividends. I've had previous projects that have requires some fandangling to get them square after cutting joinery so this was very welcomed!

20200101_094655 (2).jpg

With the basic structure done it was time to figure out how to sort out drawers and the central cavity for the router / lift. I had decided to try to make the drawers slide on the wood structure of the cabinet rather than using metal slides as that is the technique I wanted to learn for future, more important, projects and figured a shop cabinet would be a good place to learn. I just didn't realise that it would require quite a bit of additional structure; particularly given the central "box" for the router.

I started with two lower horizontal dividers on the front and rear of the cabinet. Both would fit in dado's on the legs, with the front dovetailed in - again, a new technique I would like to try and want to learn for future projects.

I decided to use a piece of wood and a trim router to cut the bulk of the waste from the dado and chisel to the line/to fit. Then disaster struck! After cutting the dado I didn't wait for the router to stop and clipped the front edge of the leg with the bit - causing some ugly tearout to the visible front-edge. That dog won't hunt Monsignor! (sorry old Futurama reference).

20200104_095845 (2).jpg

After swearing at it for an extended period didn't fix the problem I decided to remove the offending area, found some timber with similar colour and grain match and glued in a patch (so to speak). Turned out well. You can still see a faint line if you look closely, but you wouldn't notice if you weren't looking for it I think.

Routed away a strip between the two dado's:
    20200104_100921 (2).jpg

20200104_101055 (2).jpg

Glued in a matching strip-

20200104_103241 (2).jpg

Turned out ok I think! Repaired Front Edge:

20200104_112152 (2).jpg

And from the other side showing the repaired area:

20200104_162640 (2).jpg

Cheers,

Dom

Nice clean work Dom. One of my favorite times during a build is doing the layout of the joints after milling the lumber. Going from work that requires the Brute Squad to quietly making precise layout is an enjoyable transition. Are the mortises hand cut, or did you use a mortiser?
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Blog Entries
    Very nice stock you're working with there, and a great recovery on that oops. Hope your finger heals quickly.

Blog Entries
    Nice work there! I presume the cabinet will also serve for dust collection? Looking forward to seeing more pics as you move on.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Nice clean work Dom. One of my favorite times during a build is doing the layout of the joints after milling the lumber. Going from work that requires the Brute Squad to quietly making precise layout is an enjoyable transition. Are the mortises hand cut, or did you use a mortiser?

Thanks Bill. I agree that the peace and quiet of layout is very enjoyable .

The mortises were cut with a Jet chisel mortiser. I love this machine. I'm not a fan of hand chopping mortises - it doesn't give me the same enjoyment as most other hand tool only processes.

Cheers,

Dom

After cutting dado's in the legs, I notched the horizontal dividers to fit, leaving about 20mm of overlapping material to dovetail to the legs. I then cut dovetails on the ends of the dividers, transferred the dovetail to the legs and cut the matching sockets. This was done with hand saws and a chisel, but I used a forstner bit to hog out some waste from the sockets. I also cut dado's in the legs to accept 12mm marine ply panels to fill the sides and rear of the case.

I then milled up and cut some additional pieces to create web frames for the two lower drawers and a heap of dividers between the front and rear legs to facilitate 3 small drawers either side of the central router box. These will all be fitted with loose tenon joinery (Domino) as the joints aren't critical and using the Domino saved me some serious time. The web frame won't be glued at the rear to facilitate some expansion / contraction of the legs.

20200104_165744 (2).jpg

20200104_174534 (2).jpg

20200104_182306 (2).jpg

20200105_130329 (2).jpg
    20200105_150707 (2).jpg

20200105_154812 (2).jpg

20200105_175757 (2).jpg

20200106_160501 (2).jpg

Cheers,

Dom

Then another dry fit.

20200106_182644 (2).jpg

20200106_222606 (2).jpg

20200107_073127 (2).jpg

This is where I'm at to this point. Once my finger heals enough I'll continue the build. I need to box-in the central cavity, fit some ducting for dust collection, put some more rails in for the top drawers to run on, glue up, fit some adjustable feet to the cabinet, make a door, make and fit drawers, apply finish, and then fit all of the hardware. I'll actually probably leave the drawers to last and make them after I have the rest up and running.

Cheers, Dom

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Nice work there! I presume the cabinet will also serve for dust collection? Looking forward to seeing more pics as you move on.
    Yeah, the plan is to build a box around the router as part of the cabinet and then run dust collection to that, as well as running a hose to the fence as well.

Cheers,

Dom

Looking good. Take care of that finger - don't you hate it when you don't know you're cut till you get blood on the unfinished piece??

You are motivating me to rebuild my 6 year old POS router table.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Looking good. Take care of that finger - don't you hate it when you don't know you're cut till you get blood on the unfinished piece??

You are motivating me to rebuild my 6 year old POS router table.
    Oh I knew I was cut immediately unfortunately haha - it was fairly violent. I knew I was doing the wrong thing but had gotten away with it for a couple of pieces and only needed to get through two more lol. I basically fed my finger straight into a 1/2" straight bit spinning at 22,000 rpm when the bit grabbed and pulled the piece and my hand in (and yes, I was an idiot doing a climb-cut whilst holding a 1.5" strip of wood and the router by hand cutting a 1/4" deep by 1/2" dado - not my smartest moment. If only I had a router table lol).

Cheers,

Dom

Blog Entries
    So, is that a router table, or a piece of fine furniture you're building there? I thought my router cabinet was nice, but you have put me to shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Very nice stock you're working with there, and a great recovery on that oops. Hope your finger heals quickly.
    Thanks Frank. The stock is actually construction hardwood from a big box store. Just a bit of sorting to find these bits .

Quote Originally Posted by Dominik Dudkiewicz View Post
    ......... If only I had a router table lol).

Cheers,

Dom
    Ya, if only... At least your sense of humor is intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    So, is that a router table, or a piece of fine furniture you're building there? I thought my router cabinet was nice, but you have put me to shame.
    Haha. To be honest I started out thinking quick, robust and simple. Being familiar and happy with mortise and tenon construction I immediately go to solid timber... then here we are. I am also using this as a learning opportunity for some new techniques for me - so I don't have to worry if things go awry. Also, to be honest, I am not good at tailoring effort to be commensurate with the required outcome. I find I often spend effort in the wrong areas - both within a build and between builds. So i'll spend a heap of time getting a detail right that isn't seen for example and then skimp on something easy that would make a big impact. Just broken that way I guess.Cheers, Dom