Thread: Formica thickness for TS extension/router table

Formica thickness for TS extension/router table

My new router lift has a different size plate than my 2-decade-old plate. Hence, a new extension is called for, with a router-plate recess.

The extension will be bolted to the saw, of course. It’ll be a pine frame with a 3/4 Baltic birch top (reinforced by extra framing around the router), covered with Formica, attached by contact cement.

I went to a local cabinet shop for the Formica, and let them talk me into a thin sheet (about 1/32”) used for doors, not counters. Now I’m reluctant to use it. Should I expect any problems using the thin sheet?

I'd go with the countertop formica. Vertical won't be as rigid nor as durable.

Agreed. Post Form grade minimum, preferably horizontal grade or HD if you can find a piece

Thanks. I searched for HD Formica and found Wilsonart HD. Not sure if that's what you meant, but it's only 0.039" thick, whereas standard counter Formica seems to be 1/16" or 0.0625". In any case, I'm going to ditch the 1/32" stuff.

Generally speaking the 2 most common thicknesses are referred to as vertical grade, (thinner), and horizontal, (thicker). For anything subject to wear your definitely better off with horizontal. Keep the thinner stuff for projects around the shop, it's still a great easy to clean material for doors or lightly used shelves, tops etc..

good luck,
    JeffD

According to my salesman at Baer Supply some manufacturers are dumping all but post form. The one I needed was only in post form recently unless I wanted color core. But... looking back at my outfeed on ones saw it always bothers me that I have worn through the color and if I do it ove I will use color core. Works fine, just annoys me.