Thread: Need help processing logs into lumber in Columbus, Ohio

Need help processing logs into lumber in Columbus, Ohio

My brother has three or four large trees coming down on his property that will be coming down in the next few weeks in preparation for building a new home. He has offered up any logs I may want to mill up for lumber or turning blanks. I just need to let him know which trees and what log lengths I want and he will have the tree guys put them aside when they drop them. Unfortunately, I donít have a chainsaw or mill capable of dealing with logs of this size. Is there anyone in Central Ohio, that has a capable chainsaw and/or bandsaw mill, that might like to help process logs in exchange for half the haul? If you just have a capable chainsaw, Iíd purchase an Alaskan mill for us to use as I will likely purchase a chainsaw in the not too distant future if this goes well.

At the very least, I know there is at least one 24-30Ē oak tree that will make some nice bench material. If there are any interested parties, I will go over and really inspect the trees to see what it is we are working with. If I have no replies in the next week or so, Iíll just pass on the lumber and let it go with the tree service as Iím not in a position to hire out the job.

Thanks!

In addition to scoring any contacts here, Woodmizer often can refer to an owner in a given area. That's how I originally found the guy I've used twice for this kind of work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Craig's List and Facebook marketplace are good places to find portable sawmill owners.

There is a sawmills and kiln drying section here. You might post there also.
    You only need 2 tools in life. If it's supposed to move and doesn't... use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't... use duct tape.

Seconding Jim's recommendation, the Woodmizer web site identifies sawyers who do custom work. They often work on shares or they may charge by the board-foot. Band saws are much more efficient than chain saws. Blades on chain saws are designed for cross cuts.

My friend has an LT-15 that has a maximum capacity of 26" diameter logs. You may wish to keep that in mind when instructing the people cutting the trees into logs. Access to the logs once cut is also important to manage in the process. Do not drag the logs across gravel, for example.

Good luck!
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

The guy I've used charges by the hour plus cost of any bands damaged by embedded metal.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks to all who have replied.

Jim and David, I vaguely remember woodmizer having a website were you could look up sawyers. However, when I go to their website, I don’t see a link. Do you have to contact woodmizer directly to request sawyers in your area? I certainly would prefer a bandsaw mill for the sake of speed, but I’m open to trying to process it with a chainsaw mill if need be.

Bill and James, I’ll take a peak at Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist, as well as SMCs Sawmill form, thanks for the suggestions.

-Andrew

Thanks Mitch!

We are not allowed to post a link to another forums from these forums, or I would post some links for you.

Go to Forestryforum dot com, and search for this thread in the samills and milling forum. A few things I've learned about CSM'ing

csm is chainsaw milling