Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seneca Domiplate

Seneca Domiplate

Just looking for some feedback for anyone using this.

Seriously thinking about it, as I have never been confident of perfectly flush surfaces off the fence.

I have better luck registering off the table.

I have it, works well but hardly use it, I don't have drift issues with my fence

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Just looking for some feedback for anyone using this.

Seriously thinking about it, as I have never been confident of perfectly flush surfaces off the fence.

I have better luck registering off the table.

My answer is the same as Mark's. I own it. Have used it. Don't use it much as the majority of the work I do with my Domino XL doesn't really need it. I always index off a single side of whatever I'm working with, so the vertical spacing will not vary from that index surface...and the material I most often use Dominos with is thick.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the Domiplate and use it frequently. One of its unexpected uses is switching between the 1/2" and 3/4" sides to achieve a very accurate 1/8" offset for face frames on cabinets and bookcases. I like it and am glad to have it but it is not essential.

I bought my domino used and a domiplate came with it. I use it some, but the more I use the domino, the less I use it. I don't think I would buy another if I lost mine.

I used it on my 500 when building frames for a kitchen full of lightweight cabinet doors. The Domiplate offered reassurance that the settings would remain reliable.

I would recommend it for this type of production work.

Regards from Berlin

Derek

Thanks, guys.

I seem to have issues with getting boards flush. Maybe I'm expecting too much.

Heavy pressure on plate, pushing from very back, but I still get joints that are as much as 1/32 off.

When I don't use the fence and register off the base, much better results.

You are not expecting to much, mine are pretty much perfectly flush every time 1/32 is way too much. Assuming you attempted to adjust the tightening lever?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Thanks, guys.

I seem to have issues with getting boards flush. Maybe I'm expecting too much.

Heavy pressure on plate, pushing from very back, but I still get joints that are as much as 1/32 off.

When I don't use the fence and register off the base, much better results.

Robert, if you are indexing off the same surfaces (the top, for example) you should not be getting any variation in height relative to that surface unless something on the tool is loose.
    --

We came across this out of alignment issue a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't an issue with the tool, it was operator error on my part.

We were edge joining some 3/4" Oak, we had some laying flat on my bench as we cut the domino slot and other pieces hanging off the end of the bench because the piece was 7' long and we were doing the ends. What we didn't notice was when on the bench, the slot position was registering from the bottom of the tool and when hanging off the bench it was registering from the fence. The difference was so negligible, when we were making the cuts, that we didn't see the fence wasn't quite down on the work piece. Hence the surfaces weren't flush when we put the piece together.

Chris, I've come close to that issue myself...when the board wasn't quite thick enough. Very good point to raise!!!
    --

Required? No. But pretty convenient if you’re working in ply a lot or in 3/4 stock a lot. I use it often.

I also have it (the XL model) and use it frequently on 3/4 and 1/2" stock.

When I had a Domino I had a Domiplate. I found it awkard to use the domino upside down. I thought I heard that the fence issue was fixed. If I were to get another Domino I probably would not purchase the Domiplate again

I've made the identical mistake as ChrisA in the past -- the offset was so small that I didn't notice it at the time that the domino was registering off the benchtop rather than the fence placed on the top of the workpiece. With 3/4 material, it's a fraction of a millimeter, but it's enough to notice.