Thread: Restore Antique Wooden Vise Screw

Restore Antique Wooden Vise Screw

Happy New Year! I received an antique wooden vice screw and want to put it back into service on my bench in a leg vise. I was wondering if you had any suggestions on what you would lubricate it with and what you would restore/maintain it with. It is a bit dried out and I was wondering if I should oil or wax it or put a finish on it. I appreciate any advice. Thanks.
    Josh

Blog Entries
    My go to solution for old and or dried out wood is Howard Feed-N-Wax > https://www.howardproducts.com/produ...d-conditioner/

The to my recollection, the orange borg carries it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Feed n wax is good stuff. I normally use it as a polish/maintenance on oil finished surfaces.

If the screw is really dry, you might try soaking it in a 50/50 mix of BLO and mineral spirits over night, then using the wax.
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

I like bees wax for that . The stuff seems too gummy to work ,but it does. And you will not need to redo it for a long time.

Thanks all. I appreciate the advice. I think I will soak it overnight in BLO mix and then apply the feednwax.
    Josh

Blog Entries
    Johnson floor wax keeps my tools rust free in a Galveston County Texas environment. One cam will last a lifetime.

Lowell,

How does the Johnson's floor wax compare to Johnson's paste wax, which I have and use on planes, at least part of the time, to protect from rusting? To your use, is it basically similar? Have you tried the Johnson's paste wax?

Your comment caught my attention, because in a year and a half I am supposed to be retired, and we are planning to move to a more humid environment. I very much want to protect my tools from rust.

Thanks and regards,

Stew

Blog Entries
    Your comment caught my attention, because in a year and a half I am supposed to be retired, and we are planning to move to a more humid environment. I very much want to protect my tools from rust.
    To which humid environment are you planning to move?

Not likely to be much more humid than the Pacific Northwest.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

You could also use Slideez. I use this on wooden draw slides.

Mohawk now makes it.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Blog Entries
    As far as I know, it is the same product.

Jim,

I am certain it is much less humid than your country way up north west, because we are planning to moving to the Oklahoma City area. However, compared to the center of the Texas panhandle, it is quite humid. I guess it is all relative.

None the less, it is humid enough to encourage rusting. When it comes to rust, I am somewhat paranoid.

The great news, from my view, is that my wife is on board for me to have a shop there!

Regards,

Stew

Blog Entries
    None the less, it is humid enough to encourage rusting. When it comes to rust, I am somewhat paranoid.
    My long term plan is to build an enclosed cabinet with Goldenrod heaters (or equivalent) to help against humidity.

jtk

Congratulations Stew. OKC can be hot and cold, best to try for a shop with heat and A/C. Love my basement shop, would be even better with a walk out.