Thread: Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the advice

Thanks again, everyone, for the excellent and prolific advice and tips given in response to my recent post titled, "Advice, please." Over the holidays, I had a chance to implement more of the advice I received, so it seemed worthwhile to follow up with some of my findings. I followed up on multiple fronts over the break: water stones (variety and technique), paring chisels, and mortise chisels. After the wall of words associated with my advice-seeking post, I'll keep this short(er).

1. Water stones: first, based on advice received I added a 3000 grit stone (5 microns) between my DMT extra-fine diamond stone (12 micron) and my 8K stone (2 microns). This helped speed things up. Second, I was definitely underestimating the importance and usefulness of the slurry. I'm starting to understand the statement that diamond stones have no feel to them.

2. Paring chisels: I picked up a 36mm Koyamaichi white steel "Japanese paring push chisel" during Lee Valley's recent clearance event. In retrospect, I should have purchased at least two sizes. I have a few years of experience (evenings and weekends) using my 1 inch Narex bevel-edge bench chisel from Lee Valley, so I am quite familiar with how it feels in use. I realize that it's not an apples-to-apples comparison to pit a bench chisel used in paring tasks against a dedicated paring chisel. Short version: in the words of George Takei, "Oh, my!" Perhaps it's a psychological attempt at justifying the purchase decision, but after a weekend of use it seems that the off-the-stone sharpness, edge retention, feedback in use, and achievable precision are all a significant step up. Maybe I'll change my opinion after I have some real experience with it and not just a couple days of use.

3. Mortise chisel: I also picked up a 5/16 mortise chisel in the same purchase. I have yet to do more than set it up and chop a quick test mortise with it in pine and another in red oak, so I don't have more than bare first impressions at this point. So far, I'm pleased with the purchase. Perhaps I'll report back after I actually build a few things with it.

Thanks again and best regards,
    Michael Bulatowicz

There is always so much to learn, it keeps us young.