Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using fabric on a door...

Blog Entries

Using fabric on a door...

Ladies and Gents,

I want to use a fabric to cover the flat portion of these doors. I have some thoughts on how to do that... Make the edges (the cross in the middle and the outer edges) as separate pieces that install after the fabric is laid down to pinch the fabric and stretch it at the same time. I think something like this needs to happen regardless to keep the ends of the threads from showing.

I'm not sure if glue will work between the fabric and the wood. I'm worried about the fabric loosing it's tightness over time and sagging, but also worried about glue discoloring the fabric. I want to know if there is a way to install the fabric such that it keeps it look for decades (i.e., flat and smooth, not sagging).

Anyone an upholstery expert or know one?

Doors_Screenshot 1.jpg
    Doors_Screenshot 2.jpg

Blog Entries
    I can't tell anything from the sketches, but whatever happens, you need to make the fabric easily replaceable. At some point soon it will get soiled or stained & fabric is just about the least forgiving material for that sort of thing.

Blog Entries
    My thought too

One way to deal with fabric is to stretch it over a wood framework, wrapping it over the edges, and securing on the back. You can secure it with staples. Then you secure the fabric-covered panel with screws through the back.

Depending on the size, you might also route a groove next to it and hold the fabric with screen spline. If you make a complimentary piece for the back, you could inlay it and hold with magnets so it is replaceable.

If the fabric is going to be left exposed and as "fabric", I agree with the technique of stretching it around to the back of the panel and stapling. If the fabric is going to be embedded in finish, then spray adhesive or Z-Poxy it to the panel and continue with the resin to get the stuff into the finish with the "grain" filled.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In the industry, we use spray can contact adhesive. Think office cubicle walls. Lay the fabric face down, flattened but not stretched. Lightly spray with adhesive. Do not soak your fabric, it takes very little adhesive. Spray substrate. Position the substrate and drop it onto the fabric. Alternately, one can place the fabric onto the substrate, but this is more difficult. This is his automobile headliners are stuck and they stay in place for years.

Blog Entries
    Is wood an acceptable substrate? I'm assuming it would help to be sanded with a rough grit first?

Andrew, obviously you haven't been reading my posts about canvas on ply wood !!. I would thin down yellow glue ,just
    a bit, apply the cloth ,cover it with a plastic bag. Top off with a piece of plywood and a weight. If you are doing two pieces
    of the same size you can put them face to face with the plastic between.

We are thermoforming a bunch of material and bonding it over a contoured base at the moment. That cross area in my opinion will be tough if you are wanting the fabric to seamlessly roll into that pocket shape.

I agree that your sketch is a bit hard to understand what your doing but it would seem you would need a good bit of radius work/edge easing if your drawing is accurate as is and then perhaps a press-mold to get in the cross area and your fabric would have to be very flexible.

Mel's issue with thinned PVA hasnt worked for us in higher pressure situations where you have to retain the finished face of the fabric as the adhesive bleeds through in the press/membrane press and ruins the visible face of the fabric. Its a great option if the material is going to be finished in some other way but even with spray contact you have to watch because a lot of pressure/vacuum in the assembly and stretching of the fabric, the adhesive comes through.

Mark ,thanks. I was just going to give that warning.

Blog Entries
    I'm also worried about the pocket area... grrrr. I really really want a textured fabric look in the flat space. I think you guys are visually it correctly from the way you are giving me ideas.

I've also been looking into grasses, etc. I'm sure they have their challenges too.

Blog Entries
    Another thought is to go with a really nice tile. that would be easier logistically.... much harsher. Looking for something that makes the doors pop, colorful (I'm thinking blue) and has texture.

Blog Entries
    https://sahco.com/products/600657?colorway=0011

Something like this could be really neat. I'm still looking for the one that jumps out at me. And I'm ordering a lot of samples... we'll see when they arrive if I still want to go thru with my idea.

Andrew , I agree it's a good look. But I see two problems with it . Looks similar to speaker cloth ,and it's gonna catch
    dust. I suggest looking at moire .It's smooth and has a little shimmer. Colors are bright solids.