Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using fabric on a door...

Do you want the fabric to run completely in that cross mortise?

Blog Entries
    The cross is raised and the middle is see thru. Just a hole. I want some airflow for the equipment that will be inside

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. You mean kind of like the beer bottle cap tables where the bottle caps are under a layer of epoxy?

One thing to consider that most of us "dudes" don't think of...
    Unless it's just easier or fits the design better to have fabric under & behind a frame or otherwise hides the edges, you can open up some additional options by doing a little sewing. Sure that is historically considered 50's housewife hobby, but to me it's just another skill I have in my stack that I am happy to just do myself. I don't make clothes or anything, but it's handy to be able to make your own custom tool wraps (like for lathe chisels or wrenches, etc.), tool bags or upholstery.
    I'm not very good at it... some folks are wizards, but I'm OK with what I can pull off.
    But the really cool thing is since doing pretty much anything with your own hands is going extinct anyway, you can pick up an old classic sewing machine for a song these days. The old Singer 201 or 301 for straight stitches (95% of what us guys would need) can be had in decent shape for $50 pretty common. Certainly $100 or less. The Singer 201 (also the similar 15-91) are solid older classics and if you don't buy it broken, they won't ever. They are smooth running little tanks. If you want to add zigzag, which can also be occasionally useful, you can get a Singer 401, which can also do a bunch of frilly decorative crap you won't ever use, but it does zigzag (and straight of course) well. The 401 is about as new as I personally would want. Sewing machines started to get kinda crappy build quality after that (early 60's?). Also worth looking at old Husqvarna, Necchi and Pfaff, but the Singers seem to be available any day of the week. The Husqvarna's have a cool low gear feature which is nice for a bit heavier stuff and of course it slows the cycle down, which is kinda where I'm more comfortable anyway. I'm never in a burning rush.
    These machines aren't quite up to heavy upholstery work, but they will sew medium heavy upholstery fabrics & stuff like some canvas or the like.
    At any rate, you could pretty easily hem the border of something and not have to hide the edge necessarily, if the design permits. It never hurts adding a new skill to your arsenal... for cheap $$ too. I have an old Husqvarna for lighter stuff and a Juki 563 for heavy upholstery and the like, and I've got about $250 or so total in the both of them... (plus restoration labor on the Juki)
    $.02

Maybe skip the fabric running into the pocket and have someone CNC you out a few little aluminum bezels or something or even make them out of wood, cast resin, etc.. An outer frame/border would cover the outer edge with a simple rabbet or spline detail and the bezel piece could cover the entire interior of he pocket?

fabpanel.jpg