Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Hole Jig for 1/2 inch material

Pocket Hole Jig for 1/2 inch material

I have the Kreg K3 system. I now see that Kreg is selling a Micro drill system to fit in the other Kregs and claims it can make a smaller hole and is better suited for the thinner materials.

So all you pocket hole experts --Is it the right jig for 1/2 inch materials or just a marketing hype?

Marketing hype? You need the center of the screw exiting near the center of the stock. So the location of the drill bushing must be located in a different place than when drilling 3/4" stock. To get a proper flat for the screw head, I would assume you need a different head size on the screw. I find Kreg to be a great company with wonderful customer service and fine engineering. Deception is not an issue with them.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 01-06-2020 at 12:35 PM.

AE924A3E-012B-4393-852C-FE9A71CF5B3B.jpgI use the micro drill bit on my Kreg Foreman all the time making drawer boxes out of 1/2" Baltic birch plywood and use Kreg 3/4" screws, it works well for me.
    Last edited by Pat Rice; 01-06-2020 at 1:11 PM.

That micro jig is not new, it's been around for many years. Pretty much if you want to make stuff with 1/2" ply on a Kreg Jig you need the micro jig. A bigger issue is finding some real 1/2" ply, even with the micro jig you need to be careful driving screws into what passes for 1/2" ply these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Rice View Post
    AE924A3E-012B-4393-852C-FE9A71CF5B3B.jpgI use the micro drill bit on my Kreg Foreman all the time making drawer boxes out of 1/2" Baltic birch plywood and use Kreg 3/4" screws, it works well for me.
    Thank you all. Pat where do you find the 3/4 inch screws? Are these available in coarse thread. Links please?

The main issue with pocket screws in .5" material is that the screwhead usually sits proud of the pocket. The ⅜" hole is to wide for optimal placement in the center of the board. The smaller set up scales the whole system down for a better fit. I wouldn't call that a gimmick.

Never mind . It looks like the 3/4 inch length is available only in fine thread, suitable for hardwood but not plywood.

You can use standard Kreg jig to do 1/2" material. Kreg makes a "shim" to put under material to elevate it. Before I bought a micro jig, I made bunches of drawers using old jig and shim. Google "using Kreg jig on 1/2" stock." The answer will appear in the Kreg Owners forum. With this method, you use 1" screws, instead of the "standard" 1 1/4" screws.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 01-06-2020 at 8:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    You can use standard Kreg jig to do 1/2" material. Kreg makes a "shim" to put under material to elevate it. Before I bought a micro jig, I made bunches of drawers using old jig and shim. Google "using Kreg jig on 1/2" stock." The answer will appear in the Kreg Owners forum. With this method, you use 1" screws, instead of the "standard" 1 1/4" screws.
    Thank you Bruce and all for your feedback.

I agree that coarse screws are called for on plywood, with it's soft plies, but real Baltic birch ply is all hardwood plies, and is quite hard all the way through. I would think fine screws would be OK, if that is what you plan to use.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

This, I have the first version and it also came with spacers for 1/2” material.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Smith View Post
    This, I have the first version and it also came with spacers for 1/2” material.

Actually yours is most likely the second version. The first was aluminum, of which I have two.

I have the older aluminum version like Bruce. I've use it for .5" material a few times by adjusting the stop on the step drill with no issue with 1" pocket screws. If I had to do that a lot, I'd probably opt for a separate, dedicated jig, but that hasn't been an issue for me due to infrequent need.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Rice View Post

My experience mirrors Pat's. Well worth having.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I searched per your suggestion and could not find anything concerning the wedge. I have a K3 and it did not come with a wedge.

Thanks
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.