Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: illegal dumping ...what would you do?

Blog Entries
    I would definately contact the city.....and the local police if the door is closed.

Around these parts the "scrappers" happily haul away old appliances.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Around these parts the "scrappers" happily haul away old appliances.
    It's usually a race between the official truck and the scroungers that patrol the 'burbs here.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    So one day, he sees a fresh pile of trash, partially burned. In the ashes are parts of several catalogs to "adult' businesses, most still with the name and address stickers addressed to a woman that lives 3 doors down the road from me. So he takes the covers of two of these magazines, with address stickers still on them and puts them up as a poster at the local store's community bulletin board. It says $50 reward for information leading to the arrest of whoever dumped these items on my property. .Well within 45 minutes, the woman's husband is down there shoveling up the ashes and trash. This happened 25 years ago and To this day, that woman still doesn't go out in public locally.
    Now that is truly poetic justice. What a great story!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I would call the city. If they believe that you would go to that level to scam the fee, shame on them!

Quote Originally Posted by Günter VögelBerg View Post
    I will when i get a minute today. The things is, though, as someone who pays property taxes to support waste collection I don't really feel like it should be their problem, either. If that were the case, I could just take my own old refrigerator out to the street and say "not my problem" and let the city deal with it.
    but you sound like too decent a man to just dump your stuff at the curb.

Our city will pick up big items once a month, but there is a six-eight week waiting list due to volume. Things with refrigerants require special equipment to handle them. Usually scrappers will scavenge metal items at the curb. There is just one guy who is the city's dumping investigator, who is busy all the time. Unless you catch dumpers in the act, the police don't investigate. Even with cameras, people just don't get prosecuted. A TV crew had one guy on film who dumped a headless deer carcass on the side of the road. He promised to come back and pick it up. He came back, but left it, when he saw how nasty it had become. People have no shame.

So the city used to have a "pile up" program where once a year you pile your nonsense up at the street and they come pick up what the brigades of rusty pickup trucks don't get first. I had one of those plastic "tough shed" things I wanted to get rid of. I took about half of it out to the street and while I was disassembling the other half a guy came by and loaded the panels into his truck and drove off before I could tell him to wait for the rest of them. When I took the rest out another guy promptly scooped them up. I have no idea what these guys intended to do with half of a tough shed. I have always theorized that they ran into each other on an internet group for people looking for tough shed parts and got together to form a whole tough shed and a life long friendship. More likely is that they realized that the parts were useless and they made their way to the land fill.

The city discontinued that program due to the illegal dumping and the mess it made on the street.

Blog Entries
    The city said they would come pick it up. Now that I am over my righteous indignation I kind of want to have fun with it, like paint a mural on it, dress it up in costumes, or fill it up with balloons.
    Unless you already know there isn't a body inside, it should be left alone least you become part of the chain.

Hopefully the door is not able to stay shut or it may be a danger to local children.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yeah, I'm leaving it alone. It's still out there. It is tied shut with some string, so whatever is in there is going to remain a mystery to me

I can't speak to your City, but here in Los Angeles, we have an illegal dumping statute, and all illegal dumping can be reported and generally picked up within 6 days for free. I can't believe that your City would be more disfunctional than Los Angeles, but ....
    Regards,

Tom

Necrothread

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Barksdale View Post
    There are many companies offer free junk removal services or sometime minor charges, so I prefer to call them to clean your place with dumping. Mostly I practice these type of things for my surroundings.
    Hey guys, this thread is over two years old. Seems likely Gunter doesnt need help on this anymore.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thomas, does LA still use the….Dragnet ?!

Yeah, I'm leaving it alone. It's still out there. It is tied shut with some string, so whatever is in there is going to remain a mystery to me
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Hey guys, this thread is over two years old. Seems likely Gunter doesnt need help on this anymore.
    Yeah, but is it still there?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Joe Friday was one of my favorites, although watching it now makes me feel old.
    Regards,

Tom