Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soft Wood Auger Bits

You can still buy Jennings from Thomas Flynn in the UK. The lead screw point seems longer which is what you want for soft woods, only two cutters and their photo of the bit is very poor. They claim both soft and hard woods.
    The price is enough to renew your enthusiasm for antiques. I picked up a lovely old set of 10 Russel Jennings on eBay recently for $65 US.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by chris carter View Post

To Derek, I continually see people praising the Wood Owl bits; are these the “ultra smooth” ones? Additionally, are you using a hex adapter in the brace or just chucking them up directly into the brace?
    Not Derek, but…it looks like he's got several 2100 or 2101 (North bros/Stanley/Yankee) braces with Universal chucks in that cabinet. Those will take round and hex shank bits. I have a Stanley/Yankee 2101A and it's my go to brace. There are other brands that will take round and hex shanks, but many don't…I'm guessing the nice Frey brace I see in Derek's pic won't, but I could be wrong.
    Excellent thread on braces here, from the heyday of SMC: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....it-Which-model
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

grandpaslittlefarmdotcom has sets of older auger bits in various brands, etc for sale and may have the soft wood version you are looking for Joe. They seem to process lots of bits so maybe they could come across a set of the soft wood versions if you let them know what you want. Worth a try.
    David

Come on over, and take your pick...
    Drill bit rehab, the after 2.JPG
    Might have a few "extras"....and, you can even try them out, first.
    Drill bit rehab, test drive 2.JPG
    In the wood or your choice....
    bench clean up, bits.JPG
    Sizes range from #3 up to a #22....
    Come and pick a few out.....always welcome visitors to my shop....

Wow! I did not expect this kind of response. As to fast track bits, I saw it in a website sometime this AM, and cannot remember where. I think they were referring to sort of a universal type thread on the tip. The wood owl sounds like what I need, and I will check them out. Thanks to Steve and Derek for their information. The pictures were what I needed to see.
    Sorry for getting back to you so late, I had to do some honey do and meet a fellow for a nine hole round of golf. I did not do well today, to head off any questions.
    Thanks,
    Joe
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Joe,

Are you looking for specific sizes or a whole set?

You have likely seen this > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?131238 < A Bit About Augers.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Derek,
    Do you use your wood owl bits with hand braces shown in your pictures.
    Just checking. All I've seen on you tube etc. is with an electric drill.
    Thank you for all your input.
    Regards,
    Joe

Joe

Joe, I use all forms of drilling. There are times where each has an advantage.

I have reach for the brace with angles, such as mortices for staked legs and stretchers (see earlier photo). Also for large holes (3/4" and up), such as dog holes. The Wood Owl have been used for about three years now. Prior to this, I used Jennings. What I notice with the Wood Owl is a faster cut, and a cleaner entry hole. I was happy with the Jennings, but became curious after the recommendations made by Chris Schwarz.

Recently, I purchased a very good drill press, and the Star-M (also made by Wood Owl) are due to be used for staked mortices this way (they were purchased and received just prior to my current Europe vacation, and I have not had the opportunity to try them out). These bits do not have a lead screw - if you have ever attempted to use bits with lead screws on a drill press you with understand this comment! Why the Star-M? Again, curiosity after viewing Ishitani on YouTube using them to drill staked mortices. To date I have used the Wood Owl for this task in a brace. I am currently building a table with staked legs and I have 9 staked chairs and stools to build in the near future.

The cordless drill gets used for pilot holes, screws, and other small diameter drilling. I have a couple of egg beaters, and I have used them in the past, but eventually decided that they were really only useful for very fine, shallow holes, such as in hinges. Hence a couple of cordless drills. I think the last time I used an egg beater drill was a few years ago. The cordless are not just less effort, but more accurate.

Regards from Berlin

Derek

Many thanks to all. I did order the Wood Owl set of bits from LV. My golf partner had some of the auger bits I was looking and just happened to have the one sought.

Derek,
    I hope you have a wonderful time in Berlin. One of our granddaughters went over last summer and really liked it.
    Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
    Regards,
    Joe

Joe

Blog Entries
    Late to the party, for others looking see this link.

https://www.hidemysearches.com/searc...=1&ptc=://mail

Wood Owl does get a lot of great reviews - except in one case.

His conclusion is that these are not the best choice for steep angles or in hardwoods.

I guess this supports your decision. It's an interesting read anyway.

Google "elia bizzarri testing wood owl bits"
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 01-09-2020 at 11:32 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Late to the party, for others looking see this link.

https://www.hidemysearches.com/searc...=1&ptc=://mail
    Lowell,

They hide your searches. This is what comes up from your link:

Hide My Searches.png

Www.hidemysearches.com even hides them when you try to share them.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries

I got the wood owl bits from LV today. Tested them on some pine and they worked great. I will further test them another day(tomorrow). My wife has asked me to do something for her right now. I tested the 3/8" in pine with a MF 732 10" brace and it worked very well. So far I would recommend them, because of the clean and straight boring they do.

Joe