Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soft Wood Auger Bits

Soft Wood Auger Bits

Does anyone make auger bit sets for soft wood anymore? I have looked in nearly all the catalogs and online with no results. I am going to Ace in a little while to look at the Irwin fast track bits. I am tired of going to flea markets and antique stores and finding mostly junk or mixed sets of what ever they can throw together. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Blog Entries

Sorry Lowell, I've already looked at all of these. The ones I am looking for have a larger thread, instead of the fine thread used today. As an example, 13 threads per inch verses 8 threads per inch. I want ( like in days of old ) something that will bite into the wood rather than stripping out.
    Thank you just the same.
    Regards,
    Joe

Joe

Blog Entries
    Any of the home centers or hardware stores carry them, up to about 16" long. Lee Valley has a selection of auger bits. Just about any electrical distributor will have 16" auger bits, but usually only a few sizes in the 1/2" - 1" range.

If you mean Irwin bits, I believe Irwin still makes them. The quality is reportedly not so good though. But if you bought them on Amazon or something you could just keep returning until you got ones that weren't defective.... A lot more trouble than buying used though. When I bought a half set of matched Irwin style bits there were plenty of options on the bay and it took me less than a week to find a set in extremely good condition for a very fair price.

Have you looked at Jim Bode Tools, he always has a few sets for sale
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Fellows,
    Back in the day they made two styles of auger bit, one for hard wood and one for soft wood. I am looking for a set of soft wood bits which have a wider thread in order to bite into the softer wood. All I have been able to find lately is a finer thread auger bit. The fast track bit from Irwin strips out in some soft woods. It seems I need to talk to some of the older woodworkers back in TN. Lookout Clear Branch old Til is coming home. It use to be young Til. Thank you for your responses.
    Regards,
    Joe
    Thanks Brian I'll give him a try.
    Last edited by Joe Tilson; 01-06-2020 at 9:42 AM. Reason: additional info

Joe

Joe, a lot of knowledgeable people recommend the Wood Owl bits. I have not used them, but they might be worth a look. LV sells them and the have a free shipping event through 1/7.
    As an aside, the claim that Irwin pattern bits are for softwood and Jennings pattern for hardwood is debatable…IME both types work in hard and soft woods. I've been using a vintage set of Irwins for years in all types of wood. If the screw strips out, it's usually because the cutting edges need attending to--if they are not sharp enough, the back pressure will cause the screw tip to pop out.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

While the lead screws are intended to differentiate soft- and hard woods by their degree of fine/coarseness, you can circumvent this by using a trick for drilling hardwoods with a brace, especially large bits: first drill a pilot hole for the lead screw. 1/16” is good. This allows the screw to use the pilot hole to pull itself through the wood, rather than having to both cut and pull. The screw thread is no longer a factor. The sharpness of the bit is all important.
    Regards from Berlin
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Voigt View Post
    Joe, a lot of knowledgeable people recommend the Wood Owl bits. I have not used them, but they might be worth a look. LV sells them and the have a free shipping event through 1/7.
    As an aside, the claim that Irwin pattern bits are for softwood and Jennings pattern for hardwood is debatable…IME both types work in hard and soft woods. I've been using a vintage set of Irwins for years in all types of wood. If the screw strips out, it's usually because the cutting edges need attending to--if they are not sharp enough, the back pressure will cause the screw tip to pop out.
    I have sets of both Jennings (always liked these the most) and Irwin, but now use WoodOwl – on the right for a brace, and Star-M on the left for the drill press (for staked legs) ..

WoodOwl for the brace have 3 cutting edges ..

Regards from Berlin

Derek

Hey Derek,
    Are the wood owl bits soft enough to sharpen with a standard auger bit file?
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

To Joe, what do you mean by “Irwin fast track bit”? I tried googling and didn’t find anything. I have a set of Irwin hand brace auger bits and pull them through either hard wood or soft wood without problems. They have the same coarse threads I’ve seen on all other Irwin bits.

To Derek, I continually see people praising the Wood Owl bits; are these the “ultra smooth” ones? Additionally, are you using a hex adapter in the brace or just chucking them up directly into the brace?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Voigt View Post
    Hey Derek,
    Are the wood owl bits soft enough to sharpen with a standard auger bit file?
    Steve, I have no personal experience ... yet. I have moderate use with them to date, and no need to sharpen. However .. I have seen Ishitani (on YouTube) sharpening the Star-M bits with a file, so the answer is likely to be yes.

Edit to add: I see on Timberwolf Tools, link earlier, that they offer a "Feather-Type Resharpening File" for the Wood Owl bits.

Regards from Berlin

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 01-06-2020 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
    T....
    To Derek, I continually see people praising the Wood Owl bits; are these the “ultra smooth” ones? Additionally, are you using a hex adapter in the brace or just chucking them up directly into the brace?
    Chris, yes .. these are the ultra smooth type.. Also yes to using them directly in the braces (North Bros Bell System).

Edit to add picture ...

Here is a link: https://www.timberwolftools.com/wood...tri-cut-augers

I purchased the Star-M from Workshop Heaven (UK): https://www.workshopheaven.com/shop-...nd/star-m.html

Regards from Berlin

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 01-06-2020 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Steve, I have no personal experience ... yet. I have moderate use with them to date, and no need to sharpen. However .. I have seen Ishitani (on YouTube) sharpening the Star-M bits with a file, so the answer is likely to be yes.

Edit to add: I see on Timberwolf Tools, link earlier, that they offer a "Feather-Type Resharpening File" for the Wood Owl bits.

Regards from Berlin

Derek

Interesting…that file looks quite a bit different from a standard auger file. I suppose because the wood owl bits have 3 spurs instead of the traditional two. But at least it suggests, as you say, that the bits can be sharpened, which is essential. For me, the best thing about vintage bits is how easy they are to touch up with a file.