Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What are the underappreciated shop tool/supplies in your shop?

Everybody needs a break once in a while, no matter how much fun they're having. Although not a power tool user, I still don't mix my whisky with woodworking. Therefore, my old (pre-millennial) La Pavoni espresso machine is probably my most appreciated "under the radar" bit of shop kit.
    La Pavoni in shop.jpg

A small artist palette knife. I use one all the time.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Aluminum HVAC ducting tape....
    I also use it to label all my plastic bins.

A camera.

How else can I post all the pictures I have? At least there will be proof I actually did something, while in the shop....

Most underappreciated: Running water and a sink.

Most wished for: A toilet and shower. I live in a rural area would have to install tank and small drainfield.

The fleece lined jeans my wife bought me for xmas. How did I live without them for so long??
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

If it has not been mentioned then my opti-visor would be the most important and needed tool in my shop. My eyes aren't what they used to be, along with just about the rest of me!

I just spilt my beer!! Can I have 4.5” ?
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I agree about the paper towels. I use a zillion at the lathe and elsewhere for solvent, finishes, glue cleanup and more. The problem is I often don't need an entire sheet so I would tear off a corner, eventually leaving a ragged partial sheet on the roll.

What I do now is use a sharp fillet knife to cut the roll up into smaller pieces. Those I use the most are in a dispenser over the lathe, cut maybe 2.5" wide, right near the rolls of sandpaper. Now I just tear of a few inches as needed.

Attachment 423098

On my workbench I also keep a roll cut in half. When using the 1/2 sheet paper towel rolls this gives me a nice, clean square piece.

JKJ
    Great tip John. I carved up my towel roll this morning. Much less wasteful.

65C513FA-B9E2-48BD-9FD5-3D1D5594A63C.jpg
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

10. I guess I a few. First this little bench, I sit in it, stand on it, saw on it, use as a table etc etc. the picture does not do it justice, but as the base is spayed out it is super stable and the size/weight is just perfect.

IMG_1299.jpg

Next up - rubber gloves. Having this on hand all the time is great for keeping my hands clean and safe for solvents etc:

708333L.jpg
    Next up cheap safety glasses. My local tool store often sells them $2. I have about 10 pairs in the shop near tools so they are never far away. I don't have AC so on hot days putting glasses up on my sweaty head, doesn't work and having them at arms reach is great. I take similar approach with pencils & measuring tapes as I was always looking for them so I made sure I had an abundance.

DMC-EP505C_MED.jpg
    Last is my shop TV. sound a little silly, but it always made me more productive. I watch the game in the shop now and putter, maybe sand something or organize stuff etc.

IMG_9442.jpg

Electric pencil sharpener, an old office style, plug in the wall type. I grabbed it from work when they were throwing out old equipment. I use it all the time. It is right by where I lay out cuts and joinery and draft. I can't imagine being without it anymore. I'm always just seconds away from having a sharp pencil again whenever I want.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    Electric pencil sharpener, an old office style, plug in the wall type. I grabbed it from work when they were throwing out old equipment. I use it all the time. It is right by where I lay out cuts and joinery and draft. I can't imagine being without it anymore. I'm always just seconds away from having a sharp pencil again whenever I want.
    My pencil sharpening joy was finding a used hand crank pencil sharpener. My other pencil related tool is an electric eraser from my drafting days. A lot of my old drafting tools come in handy for layout and when drawing out plans for a complex project.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Pencils.....seems every fall, when the "School Supply Lists" come out....I pick up a LARGE package of them yellow #2 pencils.....now, IF I can just find the last batch I bought.....

Shop Rags.....them red/orange thingys.....used for wiping things down, cleaning my hands....and, since the washer/dryer are right there in the shop....I can throw them in and washer them back up...bleach is optional....

before any project gets started, need to do an inventory of the fasteners IN the shop...and check on the glue supply.....hate to run out in the middle of something...

Blog Entries
    Pencils.....seems every fall, when the "School Supply Lists" come out....I pick up a LARGE package of them yellow #2 pencils.....now, IF I can just find the last batch I bought.....
    A few years ago the opportunity came to buy about a half dozen boxes of #1 pencils.

Now a #2 seems a little hard to me.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Kuru Toga pencil perhaps. It has a gear drive that rotates the led so it wears evenly.