Thread: Cabot Australian Timber oil

Cabot Australian Timber oil

Does anyone have experience with this product? I have a quart that I picked up several years back from an outlet that had the inventory from a paint store that had burned. Think I pad less than $1 for it.

Web site described it an a blend of BLO, long oils and high purity tung oil.

Now wondering what I can do with it. Any ideas?

Yes. Its a product for decks, fences or other outside things. I used it once to finish a small bench. Whatever you do, only apply it outside. I was finishing the bench in the basement and it off-gassed so much the whole house reeked. I had to get up in the middle of the night and take the bench out in the yard. Nevertheless, its held up well with an annual touch up, much like spar varnish. I've tried other outdoor oil products and its as good as any. Can't see anything "Australian" about it.
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 01-06-2020 at 8:47 PM.

It used to be the go to and best product on the market for decks.

Then the epa got involved and it became water based. It’s terrible now. Takes forever to dry and dries sticky. It used to just fade away over the years now it chunks off like all latex. Sanding it for repairs stinks to.

I’d never use it now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Yes. Its a product for decks, fences or other outside things.
    Yes, this. Redwood or cedar Spa / Hot Tub surrounds look great after a re-touch with this stuff and it fairs pretty well over time.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Not a fan. I used it to treat some Cypress deck chairs some years ago. The chairs are never exposed to direct sunlight and are protected from the rain, yet the finish didn't hold up for much more than a year or so, if that. Sanding and recoating lasted less than 12 months. Not worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    It used to be the go to and best product on the market for decks.

Then the epa got involved and it became water based. It’s terrible now. Takes forever to dry and dries sticky. It used to just fade away over the years now it chunks off like all latex. Sanding it for repairs stinks to.

I’d never use it now.

Guess I got lucky. I've had this for about 10 years and its oil based.

Ummmm, lesseee: EPA screwed up finishes
    EPA screwed up washing machines
    EPA screwed up toilets
    EPA screwed up stream management (farmers fined for plowing their fields)
    What's next?

Oh, well. I only paid $1 per quart for it.